FileCat premium

The Glenn Miller Orchestra - In the Nutcracker Mood (1997) [Big Band, Swing]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Ragtime, Dixieland, Big Band, New Orleans Jazz, Jump Blues, Neo-Swing
Mike1985
Uploader

The Glenn Miller Orchestra - In the Nutcracker Mood (1997) [Big Band, Swing]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 29 Dec 2016, 07:49

Artist: The Glenn Miller Orchestra
Album: In the Nutcracker Mood
Genre: Big Band, Swing, Christmas
Label: LaserLight
Released: 1997
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Miniature Overture (2:10)
  2. March (1:49)
  3. Dance of the Fairy Dragee (2:16)
  4. Russian Dance (1:03)
  5. Arabian Dance (2:32)
  6. Chinese Dance (2:11)
  7. Dance of the Mirlitons (2:05)
  8. Waltz of the Flowers (3:28)
  9. Jolly Old St. Nicholas (2:56)
  10. Toyland (3:03)
  11. Ode to Joy (3:00)
  12. A String of Carols: Here We Come A-Caroling, Up on the House Top/A Child Is Born in Bethlehem/Deck the Halls (3:03)
  13. Parade of the Wooden Soldiers (3:07)
  14. Old-Fashioned Christmas Tree (2:34)
  15. March of the Toys (2:41)
  16. What Are You Doing New Year's Eve? (4:06)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

I first became enamored with the Glenn Miller Orchestra's IN THE CHRISTMAS MOOD albums with the second of the three. I've since collected them all, this being the most recent.

I love the purely instrumental big band tracks on all three of the albums. These guys-original members of the Glenn Miller Orchestra who've gotten together to create these holiday recordings-are OBVIOUSLY the real thing. They interpret traditional holiday songs with an impeccable and immensely fun big band swing.

My bone to pick-and a major one, unfortunately-is with the "Moonlight Seranaders," who sing on (thankfully only) four of the sixteen tracks on this album. Although my experience of authentic big band recordings from the 1940s is slim, I do have a couple of albums, including a two-disc set of original Glenn Miller recordings. On NONE of these albums do the singers sound as disgustingly saccharin as these vocalists.

The sound of the "Moonlight Seranaders" is definitely that of the sappy Lawrence Welk singers of the 1960s and '70s. It's truly terrifying and, sadly, interferes greatly with the otherwise fantastic tracks on this album and the others in the series. Personally, I'd much rather have had a single, talented, emotive vocalist on several of the tracks rather than the sickly-sweet chorus, which completely ruins songs like "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?" on this album and "I'll Be Home For Christmas" on one of the other two.

Nevertheless, for the usually ridiculoulsly low price of these albums, you really can't go wrong. The twelve great tracks on IN THE NUTCRACKER MOOD is well worth its cost-with or without the "Moonlight Seranaders." Buy it and re-live those fantastic days of big band music right in your own home this holiday season.
-- C. Michael Massey

Return to “Early Jazz, Swing, Gypsy (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”