FileCat premium

Dave Brubeck Quartet with Paul Desmond - The Complete Storyville Broadcasts (2014) [Cool]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

West Coast Jazz, Soul-Jazz, Standards
Mike1985
Uploader

Dave Brubeck Quartet with Paul Desmond - The Complete Storyville Broadcasts (2014) [Cool]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 25 Sep 2016, 06:48

Artist: Dave Brubeck Quartet with Paul Desmond
Album: The Complete Storyville Broadcasts
Genre: Cool
Label: Essential Jazz Classics
Released: 2014
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
    CD 1:
  1. Lyons Busy (0:33)
  2. 'S Wonderful (3:06)
  3. That Old Black Magic (2:40)
  4. Jeepers Creepers (3:29)
  5. These Foolish Things (4:43)
  6. Announcement (0:52)
  7. Mam'selle (2:23)
  8. Tea for Two (4:56)
  9. This Can't Be Love (4:20)
  10. Lyons Busy (1:47)
  11. Announcement (0:52)
  12. Me and My Shadow (3:10)
  13. Heart and Soul (2:19)
  14. Undecided (3:23)
  15. Announcement (0:31)
  16. All the Things You Are (5:28)
  17. Singin' in the Rain (2:59)
  18. Perdido (4:57)
  19. Stardust (3:58)
  20. Lyons Busy (1:21)
  21. Announcement (1:04)
  22. Crazy Chris (7:01)
  23. This Can't Be Love (4:08)

CD 2:
  1. Announcement (0:45)
  2. Somebody Loves Me (3:33)
  3. Crazy Chris (3:03)
  4. Body and Soul (3:23)
  5. I'll Remember April (5:02)
  6. I Didn't Know What Time It Was (3:42)
  7. Announcement (0:42)
  8. Crazy Rhythm (4:43)
  9. How High the Moon (4:04)
  10. Announcement (0:52)
  11. Frenesi (3:13)
  12. Announcement (0:59)
  13. Somebody Loves Me (4:21)
  14. Announcement (0:28)
  15. Heart and Soul (2:14)
  16. Just One of Those Things (4:12)
  17. Avalon (2:10)
  18. All the Things You Are (4:27)
  19. Give a Little Whistle/Oh Lady, Be Good! (6:53)
  20. You Go to My Head (7:50)
  21. Summer Song/Over the Rainbow (5:14)
  22. Tea for Two (6:57)

CD 3:
  1. Introduction by John McLellan/Love Walked In/I'll Never Smile Again (10:22)
  2. The Way You Look Tonight (4:43)
  3. These Foolish Things (5:01)
  4. Perdido (3:49)
  5. On the Alamo (10:50)
  6. Don't Worry About Me (6:58)
  7. Gone with the Wind (8:10)
  8. Back Bay Blues (6:36)
  9. Here Lies Love (5:50)
  10. When You're Smiling (9:19)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

In the history of jazz, there have been a handful of iconic figures who have transcended popular music styles of their era to create a new generation of jazz devotees. The late Dave Brubeck was one of these. There is very little that I can add to the discussion of the distinguished career of Dave Brubeck - he was, and is, irreplaceable. That is exactly why this CD release is so important. Beginning in February of 1951, shortly after the Brubeck Quartet was formed the prior August, George Wein signed Brubeck to perform at his jazz venue called Storyville which was located in the Copley Square Hotel in downtown Boston. The engagement was broadcast on the radio station WHDH - 850 on the dial if I remember correctly. This was the beginning of a series of broadcasts by Brubeck from Storyville over the next three years. This release gathers all these broadcasts in a 3 CD set which is an absolute must for Brubeck fans for a variety of reasons not the least of which is the aural evidence of the development of the Quartet's style as personnel changes took place over the three year span of these recordings. The fact that Brubeck and Paul Desmond anchored the groups lent stability and direction which evolved into the golden years of the Quartet before Desmond's departure for a solo career. There is very little to critique here. The playing is wonderful - the improvisations are elegant, unique, and ultimately Brubeckian - in short, essential to any serious jazz collection. The notes are extensive and the sound reproduction is superb. The transfers are clean and immediate. I cannot imagine a fan of Brubeck's without this set. Highly recommended.
Update - I neglected to mention that some of these broadcasts originated at the Buckminster Hotel in Boston. It was a venue that housed Storyville for a period of time in the early 50's. Also I was in error as to the station broadcasting the programs. I missed it the first time through, but subsequently learned that the engineer on the Buckminster Hotel remotes was Arnie Ginsberg who was a sound engineer and later iconic DJ for station WMEX in Boston. In the late 50's and early 60's he was a fixture on WMEX when it became a pop music -top 40 formula station. He was known as "WOO WOO" Ginsberg and had a huge teen audience. Nevertheless, as I mentioned earlier, these remotes are superb. I never fail to be moved by Paul Desmond's alto playing. A good friend of mine met him once and as a fellow sax player was fulsome in his admiration for Desmond. One of his most prized possessions is an alto mouthpiece given to him by Desmond after a gig of Desmond's that he attended. He always said that Desmond was a very regular guy who was very approachable. The ethereal quality of his high register playing was unique - he "played high" and it was easily identifiable. A wonderful CD set. There are a few minor dropouts presumably for station ID. Absolutely essential for Brubeck and Desmond fans.

Return to “Mainstream Jazz, Cool (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”