FileCat premium

Quantic & Alice Russell with The Combo Bárbaro - Look Around The Corner (2012) [Soul, Funk]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Funk, Soul, R&B
Mike1985
Uploader

Quantic & Alice Russell with The Combo Bárbaro - Look Around The Corner (2012) [Soul, Funk]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 23 Nov 2016, 08:32

Artist: Quantic & Alice Russell with The Combo Bárbaro
Album: Look Around The Corner
Genre: Soul, Funk, Latin Jazz
Label: Tru Thoughts Recordings
Released: 2012
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Look Around The Corner
  2. Here Again
  3. Travelling Song
  4. Magdalena
  5. I'll Keep My Light In My Window
  6. Una Tarde En Mariquita
  7. Interlude
  8. Su Suzy
  9. Boogaloo 33
  10. Road To Islay
  11. Similau
  12. I'd Cry
  13. Magdalena (Reprise)
  14. Look Around The Corner (Reprise)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

The lead track lights the touch paper, and the album abounds with melodies and momentum from there on in; brimming with big, classic-sounding yet fresh and original songs including the simply irresistible funky stomp of “Magdalena” and the close harmonies, Latin rhythms and bouncing melody of “Su Suzy”. There’s a taste of vintage rock ‘n’ roll on “Boogaloo 33”; and a modern take on seventies soul ballads in “I’d Cry”, on which Russell’s heartfelt candy-laced vocals play a bittersweet game of call-and-response with gypsy-folk violins and the dancing piano keys of Alfredito Linares, one of the musical stars of the record.

“Travelling Song” and “Similau” see the duo reinterpret a classic folk song from the English movement and one from its equivalent in the West Indies. You’ll also find an inspired version of the soul standard “I’ll Keep My Light In My Window”, one of Russell’s all-time favourite songs which has scarcely sounded better than in this current incarnation, on which she exercises her famed powers as a classic soul vocalist. The band take centre stage in instrumental numbers including “Una Tarde In Mariquita” and “Road To Islay”, showcasing the sheer wealth of talent running through the outfit, not to mention the compositional skills and broad church of influences for which Quantic (aka Will Holland) becomes ever more greatly revered with each release. The closing flourish – a Reprise of “Look Around The Corner” – is a compelling invitation to hit the repeat button.

Tru Thoughts Recordings are delighted to announce that the highly anticipated collaborative album by Quantic and Alice Russell, the label's two all-time biggest selling artists, is now finalised for a 2012 release.

Entitled 'Look Around The Corner', the album will be released on CD, double gatefold vinyl and digital on 2nd April; preceded by the lead single - the title track - out on deluxe 10” vinyl and digital on 20th February.

'Look Around The Corner' sees the duo of Quantic and Alice Russell revisiting the spirit of their hugely popular previous collaborations (with the Quantic Soul Orchestra, for example) but this time backed by Quantic's world-renowned Combo Bárbaro and recorded in Quantic's adopted home city of Cali, Colombia.

The combined talents of singer Alice Russell and producer/musician Will Holland (aka Quantic) have always been a match made in heaven, and the vibrant sound of this beautiful album is a fresh blend of pure sweet soul and blues, with overtones of gospel and folk music and the added Latin swing of the Combo Bárbaro.

Pushing the concept of their previous work together, they wanted to have a Latin undertone to the style. Rather like the soul records made in Miami and New York in the 70s, or the disco from the Bronx, it has the accent of Latin players but still a lot of the blues and soul sound; Chicago's Chess label was a big influence from a production aesthetic.

The record features Mike Simmonds (Alice Russell's regular strings guru who joined them in Colombia from London for the recording), as well as the revered pianist Alfredito Linares, bassist Fernando Silva and conga player Freddy Colorado, all from the Combo Bárbaro. Wilson Viveros, from coastal town Buenaventura, was an invited drummer - more known for playing timbales for Guayacan, Fruko and Joe Madrid, he is also an incredible kit drummer. Also on drums for some songs was Larry Joseph, a talented Jazz drummer who resides and plays in Cali. Alfredito is the instrumentalist star of the show, sprinkling his magical and charismatic brand of bluesy, boogaloo piano over the album.

Quantic and Alice Russell will be touring 'Look Around The Corner' extensively throughout the USA in March - April, followed by Europe and the UK in April - May; with a hand-picked band comprising members of the Combo Bárbaro and musicians from Alice's own band.

Both Alice Russell and Quantic have built up immense Worldwide followings for their solo projects, with over 400,000 record sales between them; and 'Look Around The Corner' is guaranteed to be met with excitement, surprise and delight by music fans from all corners of the globe.

Return to “Funk, Soul, R&B (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”