FileCat premium

Toots Thielemans - One More For The Road (2006) [Swing / Mainstream Jazz / Contemporary Jazz / Bop]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Ragtime, Dixieland, Big Band, New Orleans Jazz, Jump Blues, Neo-Swing
Mike1985
Uploader

Toots Thielemans - One More For The Road (2006) [Swing / Mainstream Jazz / Contemporary Jazz / Bop]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 05 Dec 2016, 06:39

Artist: Toots Thielemans
Album: One More For The Road
Genre: Swing / Mainstream Jazz / Contemporary Jazz / Bop
Label: Verve
Released: 2006
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Come Rain or Come Shine 4:41
  2. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea 2:40
  3. Last Night When We Were Young 5:14
  4. Ill Wind 3:55
  5. One for My Baby (And One More for the Road) 5:09
  6. I Gotta Right to Sing the Blues 3:05
  7. I Wonder What Became of Me 4:04
  8. That Old Black Magic 4:18
  9. This Time the Dream's on Me 4:47
  10. Stormy Weather 5:33
  11. It's Only a Paper Moon 3:46
  12. Over the Rainbow [Bonus Track] 5:49

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

A Tribute to the Harold Arlen songbook. That Arlens songs are not universally popular could be attributed to the fact that they are performed predominantly in jazz circles. Or that they have become associated with a single artist: Over The Rainbow will be forever linked with Judy Garland; One For My Baby with Frank Sinatra; and Its Only A Paper Moon, inevitably with Nat King Cole. 20th-century musical legend Toots Thielemans is determined to change this state of affairs. He has given Arlens repertoire a new context, providing his arranger Jurre Haanstra with an inspired basis for improvisations at the highest level. And that takes daring that on this CD results in musical magic. Arlens ballads and his jazz-and blues-inspired songs have been dusted off, given a good polish and now glisten in a new showcase .

(Amazon Reviewer): "The liner notes in Toots Thielemans' CD accurately state that the songs of Harold Arlen (with an assortment of lyricists, including the great Johnny Mercer) are widely known, even though they don't enjoy the same kind of popular reverence as say those of composers Cole Porter or Irving Berlin. "One More for the Road" is designed, in part, to place Arlen center stage. Toots does this ten times over. But he does something else.

Thielemans and producer Ruud Jacobs' decision to showcase less-well-known vocalists is also a master stroke. Most of these superb vocal talents enjoy limited airplay, but are certainly worthy of astounding acclaim. Some stand out more than others: Lizz Wright, a Georgia native (USA) with a smoky contralto is warm and sultry on "Come Rain or Come Shine." Madeleine Peyroux's Billie Holiday-esque vocals shine on "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea." Oleta Adams full-bodied vocals expand the meaning of Lena Horne's signature "Stormy Weather." The vocal standout, however, is Trijntje (pronounced "Train-cha") Oosterhuis' burnished vocals on the nearly forgotten Arlen/Johnny Mercer masterpiece "I Wonder What Became of Me." Thielemans is correct when he says Trijntje deserves greater exposure in the United States.

For some diehard Thielemans fans, this CD may have too little of Toots (He plays without vocals only on four tracks.) Yet he manages to pull off three important things: First, he superbly highlights the masterful compositions of Harold Arlen. Second, he displays exquisite good taste in vocalists. And third, he perfectly blends Jazz and Traditional Pop so much so that a Jazz purist and a Pop music dilettante would be equally pleased. This CD is a perfectly pleasant ride with the master of Jazz harmonica and his astounding new friends

Return to “Early Jazz, Swing, Gypsy (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”