FileCat premium

Bob James - Alone: Kaleidoscope by Solo Piano (2013) [Post-Bop, Smooth Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Crossover Jazz, Easy Listening
Mike1985
Uploader

Bob James - Alone: Kaleidoscope by Solo Piano (2013) [Post-Bop, Smooth Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 23 Dec 2016, 08:29

Artist: Bob James
Album: Alone: Kaleidoscope by Solo Piano
Genre: Post-Bop, Smooth Jazz
Label: Tappan Zee Records
Released: 2013
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Restoration (James) - 5:16
  2. I Can't Give You Anything But Love (Waller) - 4:39
  3. My Heart Stood Still (Rodgers) - 6:30
  4. Never Let Me Go (Livingstone) - 6:07
  5. Wild Stallion (James) - 5:52
  6. Karesansui (James) - 4:44
  7. Scarborough Fair (Garfunkel-Simon) - 5:05
  8. It Never Entered My Mind (Rodgers) - 5:03
  9. Lover Come Back to Me (Romberg) - 3:56
  10. Garbo Redux (James) - 5:03
  11. Medley (Westchester Lady/Touchdown/Nautilus/Angela) (James) - 5:07
  12. Put Our Hearts Together (James) - 3:14

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

This is skilful, highly technical and sometimes catchy fair from the contemporary jazz master but for me, this guy, who I happen to admire enormously, sits better when with fellow jazz legends aka, Fourplay and from a previous era, with Gary King, Dean Brown, Kirk Whalum etc. I love his work with the aforementioned but I cannot get my head, or more importantly my heart, around his solo piano work. The album opens up with the delightful Restoration, but drifts into something that has aimed at being a little too clever and for me, falls flat on its face The Restoration from Grand Piano Canyon, 1990, is without peer. You have the lovely guitar lines of Lee Ritenour, the oh so clever rhythms being punched out from Harvey Mason and the driving bass of Nathan East - beautiful. If it aint broke, don't fix it! It's notable that 6 tracks are not written by Mr. James so one doesn't get to exclusively appreciate his wonderfully creative writing and I'm afraid the medley, 11, is poorly conceived. Westchester Lady is IMHO, one of his weakest tracks anyway, very repetitive and a bit monotonous but no justice is done to one of his finest ever tracks, Nautilus. I do however like track 6, Karesanui- a gentle caress here with not a little emotion. If you like this type of playing and indeed like Bob James, go for Dancing on the Water, with 4 hands stuff, great fellow pianists and some rather more appealing solo tracks. Looking forward very much to the next Fourplay album though, probably later in the year...

Return to “Smooth, Jazz-Pop (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”