FileCat premium

The 3 Souls feat. Sonny Cox - Soul Sounds (1965/1997) [Soul Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Hard Bop, Post-Bop, Neo-Bop
Mike1985
Uploader

The 3 Souls feat. Sonny Cox - Soul Sounds (1965/1997) [Soul Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 06 Jan 2017, 06:19

Artist: The 3 Souls feat. Sonny Cox
Album: Soul Sounds
Genre: Soul Jazz
Label: MCA/Universal Victor
Released: 1965/1997
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. You're No Good (Ballard) - 3:24
  2. I Don't Want to Hear Anymore (Newman) - 4:28
  3. Dear Old Stockholm (Getz) - 3:50
  4. Walk on By (Bacharach) - 3:16
  5. Big Jim (Cox-Prince) - 3:35
  6. A House Is Not a Home (Bacharach-David) - 3:31
  7. Black Nile (Shorter) - 4:29
  8. Chittlins con Carne (Burrell) - 5:19
  9. Armageddon (Shorter) - 4:40

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Sonny Cox - alto saxophone
  • Ken Prince - organ
  • Robert Shy - drums
  • Louis Satterfield - electric bass
  • Gerald Sims - guitar

This is a fantastic example to the 60's Soul Jazz movement. Cox, an accomplished musician, didn't want to be a basketball coach. When he was growing up in Cincinnati, he wanted to be a great baseball player, another Jackie Robinson. And he wanted to be a great jazz saxophone player, another Charlie Parker. After graduating from Kentucky State, Cox came to Chicago with classmate Joe Henderson, the famed tenor sax player. They were en route to California to become professional musicians. But Cox never left. He found a home – and another occupation – on the South Side.

Jazz was so popular in clubs along Cottage Grove Avenue that he and Henderson played gigs seven nights a week and two matinees. "The money was so good that we played jazz all summer," said Cox, who recorded six albums and later owned two nightclubs.

He picked up the nickname "Sonny" because friends said he played like Sonny Stitt, the great tenor sax player. When Stitt came to Chicago, they played together. He was offered a record contract as "Sonny and the Three Souls." He still plays occasionally. "But my name is Landon," Cox said. "I have outgrown 'Sonny.' "

When his late friend Howard Amos got a teaching job, school officials asked Cox if he had a degree. He didn't want to teach, but he realized he could make money playing jazz at night and cash a check for teaching in the daytime. So he began another career.

He taught at John Foster Dulles elementary school for 10 years, moved to Wendell Smith elementary school, then to Robeson High School as frosh-soph coach before landing at King as head coach for the 1981-82 season. He earned master's degrees in ethnic studies and guidance counseling and human relations and also became an assistant principal at King.

"People really don't know me," said Cox, who was drafted out of college by the Cincinnati Reds as a shortstop. "I will always be a musician and a basketball coach. It may sound self-serving, but I really think there is nobody who can teach the big man better than I can."

Return to “Bop (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”