FileCat premium

Lisa Sokolov - Presence (2003) [Vocal Jazz]; APE (image+.cue)

Vocal Jazz
Mike1985
Uploader

Lisa Sokolov - Presence (2003) [Vocal Jazz]; APE (image+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 08 Jan 2017, 08:40

Artist: Lisa Sokolov
Album: Presence
Genre: Vocal Jazz
Label: Laughing Horse Records
Released: 2003
Quality: APE (image+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Presence (4:49)
  2. Hopefully (2:00)
  3. Oh , What a Beautiful Morning (4:01)
  4. You Do Something To Me (2:54)
  5. Chain Of Fools (4:50)
  6. Hard Being Human (5:26)
  7. Sons Of (4:11)
  8. Water Lilies (3:33)
  9. And When I Die (6:41)
  10. As It Is (5:12)
  11. For All We Know (5:59)
  12. Home On The Range (2:55)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Lisa Sokolov (vocals, keyboards)
  • John DiMartino (piano)
  • Cameron Brown (bass)
  • Gerry Hemingway (drums)

This is one of the times I'm grateful that this magazine doesn't have a rating system. I've never heard anything like this before (although Sokolov has two previous CDs out that were reportedly well-received), and I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it. I do know that “Presence” is terrifically innovative, with Sokolov exploring the myriad textures of her voice like a daring instrumentalist, and whether she's pure or raspy, shrill or rounded, whispery or full-throated, she's always passionate.

There are hints of Janis Joplin, moments of Marilyn Monroe's coy trilling in the deranged “You Do Something To Me,” a whiff of Maria Muldaur, some spectacular scatting, and rangey jazz vocalizing. Sokolov also plays with time and content, casting the Midwestern anthem “Oh, What a Beautiful Morning” in her own bold mold. It's an experience—that much I can tell you.

The CD opens with “Presence,” with its energetic groove and Sokolov overdubbed through her driving spiritual quest (Presence everywhere/Hiding/Hiding). This is a running theme throughout—in the a cappella, gospel-ish ”Hopefully,” where she wants “the mystery [made] clearer,” and the howling “Hard Being Human,” and her dramatic reconstruction of Laura Nyro's “And When I Die.” The title track drew me in, and it's still my favorite, though I also liked the vibrant “Chain of Fools,” especially where she scats like a drummer.

The band is terrific throughout; they clearly “get” what she's doing and provide ideal support. While I found the scalding vocal on “As It Is” almost unlistenable, it was followed by a deeply-felt, often childlike “For All We Know,” with brilliant solo intro and superb accompaniment by pianist John DiMartino. The closer is a unique rendition of ”Home on the Range” (yes, that one), which, like the opener, was recorded live at the 2002 Tampere Jazz Happening in Finland.

The fact that Sokolov is also a veteran music therapist may have something to do with her rule-bending and emphasis on unbridled feeling. Occasionally jarring, often unpredictable, never boring, “Presence” is full of angst but also an original voice and approach that blasts one's expectations. I know I'll be returning to that title track.

Return to “Vocal Jazz (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”