FileCat premium

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - Save My Soul (2003) [Retro Swing]; FLAC (image+.cue)

Ragtime, Dixieland, Big Band, New Orleans Jazz, Jump Blues, Neo-Swing
Mike1985
Uploader

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - Save My Soul (2003) [Retro Swing]; FLAC (image+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 26 Jan 2017, 06:27

Artist: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Album: Save My Soul
Genre: Retro Swing
Label: Capitol Records
Released: 2003
Quality: FLAC (image+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Zig Zaggity Woop Woop Pt. 1 (2:32)
  2. You Know You Wrong (4:47)
  3. Always Gonna Get Ya (2:52)
  4. 'Don't You' Feel My Leg (4:58)
  5. Oh Yeah (4:37)
  6. Simple Songs (4:30)
  7. Next Week Sometime (3:21)
  8. Save My Soul (6:34)
  9. I Like It (4:19)
  10. Zig Zaggity Woop Woop Pt. 2 (4:44)
  11. Hidden Track 1 (0:54)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

For their first album in four years, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy realized they needed to switch gears since the freak, late-'90s big band craze had become about as hot as yesterday's scrambled eggs. Thankfully, a trip down to New Orleans to play Jazzfest (recounted in this album's title track) reinvigorated and reinvented the group's sound. Gone are the smarmy Vegas charts, replaced with a swampy Crescent City, slinky Bourbon Street swagger. Add Latin mambo on the percussive "I Like It" and "You Know You're Wrong," along with some second-line funk straight out of the Dirty Dozen Brass Band on "Zig Zaggity Woop Woop, Pt. 2" and you've got a swinging, finger-popping disc that should keep the band's established fans happy, while expanding their previously limited, and nearly dead-ended scope. Most of the tunes are originals -- if derivative ones -- except for a cover of Blue Lu Barker's ""Don't You"" Feel My Leg" (also a moderate '70s hit for Maria Muldaur). However, the barroom swagger turned Dixieland jazz of "Simple Songs" seems a bit forced and frontman Scotty Morris' voice hasn't improved. This material would benefit from a gruffer approach. But Save My Soul is a surprisingly enjoyable and fresh album from a band many might have written off as already expending their allotted 15 minutes of fame. The disc's CD-ROM content includes three live tracks, information, pictures of each band member, and shots from the making of the album.
Review by Hal Horowitz

Return to “Early Jazz, Swing, Gypsy (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”