FileCat premium

Mighty Sam McClain - Sledgehammer Soul & Down Home Blues (1996) [Blues / Soul]; FLAC (image+.cue)

Texas, Chicago, Modern and Others
Mike1985
Uploader

Mighty Sam McClain - Sledgehammer Soul & Down Home Blues (1996) [Blues / Soul]; FLAC (image+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 16 Feb 2017, 07:15

Artist: Mighty Sam McClain
Album: Sledgehammer Soul & Down Home Blues
Genre: Blues / Soul
Label: Audioquest
Released: 1996
Quality: FLAC (image+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Sledgehammer Soul & Down Home Blues (McClain) 3:30
  2. Where You Been So Long (McClain, Berry) 5:56
  3. Trying To Find Myself (McClain, Teague) 4:22
  4. Things Ain't What They Used To Be (McClain, PapaGeorge) 6:16
  5. When The Hurt Is Over (Maybe Love Will Flow) (McClain) 8:03
  6. Pray (Carlo Ditta) 4:42
  7. They Call Me "Mighty" (McClain, Giftos) 5:59
  8. Dancin' To The Music Of Love (McClain, Dillard) 4:36
  9. Hey Miss Bea (McClain) 5:08
  10. If You Could See (McClain, Irwin) 8:42
  11. Bridge Of Faith (Clements) 6:41
  12. Don't Write Me Off (McClain, Carbo) 7:15

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Mighty Sam McClain - Vocals
  • Bruce Katz - Hammond B-3 & Piano
  • Kevin Barry - Guitar
  • Ted "Teddy B" Bukowski - Bass
  • Zac Casher - Drums
  • Walter Platt - Trumpet and Horn Arrangements
  • Joe Casano - Trumpet
  • Ted DeCola - Tenor Sax
  • Joe Golindo - Trombone
  • George PapaGeorge - Hammond B-3 on Trying To Find Myself, They Call Me "Mighty", Pray Clavinet on Hey Miss Bea, Things Ain't What They Used To Be
  • Peter Giftos - Guitar on Sledgehammer Soul & Down Home Blues, Bridge Of Faith, Dancin' To The Music Of Love, When The Hurt Is Over, Don't Write Me Off

The title of this CD couldn't be more descriptive of its contents, for it illustrates that Mighty Sam McClain is indeed a master of sledgehammer soul and down-home electric blues. Influenced by Bobby "Blue" Bland but nonetheless his own person, the Louisiana native is a charismatic singer who is as convincing on blues gems like "Where You Been So Long," "They Call Me Mighty," and the haunting "When the Hurt Is Over" (the perfect marriage of Bland and John Lee Hooker) as he is on such Southern soul treasures as "Trying to Find Myself" and "Things Ain't What They Used to Be." When it comes to R&B, McClain's approach is essentially Southern and very 1960s-influenced -- the sleekness that characterized so much of the soul-pop of Detroit, Philadelphia, and Chicago isn't an influence on this fine album, and he shows no awareness whatsoever of mid-'90s trends in urban contemporary music. But McClain (who is joined by a solid band that includes horns, electric Hammond organ and a rhythm section) does surprise us by embracing reggae on the uplifting "Pray." This is definitely a CD to savor.
Review by Alex Henderson

Return to “Blues (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”