FileCat premium

The Teddy Wilson Trio & Gerry Mulligan Quartet with Bob Brookmeyer & Bill Evans - At Newport (1957/2016) [Swing]; FLAC

Ragtime, Dixieland, Big Band, New Orleans Jazz, Jump Blues, Neo-Swing
Mike1985
Uploader

The Teddy Wilson Trio & Gerry Mulligan Quartet with Bob Brookmeyer & Bill Evans - At Newport (1957/2016) [Swing]; FLAC

Unread postby Mike1985 » 22 Feb 2017, 05:50

Artist: The Teddy Wilson Trio & Gerry Mulligan Quartet with Bob Brookmeyer & Bill Evans
Album: At Newport
Genre: Swing
Label: Verve/Universal Japan
Released: 1957/2016
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Stompin' At The Savoy (4:36)
  2. Airmail Special (3:48)
  3. Basin Street Blues (5:08)
  4. I Got Rhythm (4:24)
  5. Sweet Georgia Brown (7:38)
  6. My Funny Valentine (5:17)
  7. Utter Chaos (4:44)
  8. Dancing In The Dark (6:22)
  9. I Love You (4:31)
  10. 'S Wonderful (5:19)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel on tracks 1-5:
  • Teddy Wilson - p
  • Milt Hinton - b
  • Specs Powell - d
  • Gerry Mulligan - bars (5)

Personnel on tracks 6, 7:
  • Gerry Mulligan - bars
  • Bob Brookmeyer - tb
  • Joe Benjamin - b
  • Dave Bailey - d

Personnel on tracks 8-10:
  • Don Elliott - mlp, vib & bgo
  • Bill Evans - p
  • Ernie Furtado - b
  • Al Beldini - d

Verve 60th Anniversary Rare Albums SHM-CD Reissue Series. Reissue with SHM-CD format. Two different sides of Verve Records in the 50s – one modern, one a bit more traditional – and both represented in live material from the Newport Jazz Festival in 1957! Side one features a stunning live performance from pianist Teddy Wilson – working in a tight trio with Milt Hinton on bass and Spec Powell on drums – and really blowing away any conceptions we might have had about Wilson being aging or flowery at the time. Instead, he's got a sharp edge and command of the keys that's amazing – and which almost seems to have a bit more bite than usual in this concert setting.

Titles include "Stompin At The Savoy", "Basin Street Blues", and "Airmail Special" – and Gerry Mulligan joins the group on baritone for a reading of "Sweet Georgia Brown". Mulligan then takes off with his own group, in a completely different format – no piano at all, just beautiful work from Joe Benjamin on bass and Dave Bailey on drums – and sublime sounds from Bob Brookmeyer's valve trombone, which is a perfect match for Gerry's deep tones. The group plays long takes on "My Funny Valentine" and "Utter Chaos". CD also features bonus tracks with Don Elliott too!

Although in 1957 some listeners considered swing and cool jazz to be at the extreme poles of the jazz world, this LP, recorded at that year's Newport Jazz Festival, shows just how similar the two idioms were. The Teddy Wilson Trio (with bassist Milt Hinton and drummer Specs Powell) plays lightly swinging versions of four swing era standards and welcomes baritonist Gerry Mulligan to sit in on a spirited rendition of "Sweet Georgia Brown," and then Jeru's quartet (with trombonist Bob Brookmeyer, bassist Joe Benjamin, and drummer Dave Bailey) plays cooly exciting versions of "My Funny Valentine" and "Utter Chaos"; one could easily imagine Wilson helping out on those two songs. Strangely enough, this LP reissue of the original set also contains three standards by the Don Elliott Quartet with pianist Bill Evans, but never lists the full personnel (mellophonist Elliott, bassist Ernie Furtado, and drummer Al Beldini) or acknowledges the music in the liner notes. Worth acquiring anyway.

Return to “Early Jazz, Swing, Gypsy (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”