FileCat premium

Bonnie Raitt - The Lost Broadcast Philadelphia 1972 (2010) [Blues, Acoustic]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Texas, Chicago, Modern and Others
Mike1985
Uploader

Bonnie Raitt - The Lost Broadcast Philadelphia 1972 (2010) [Blues, Acoustic]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 04 Mar 2017, 07:01

Artist: Bonnie Raitt
Album: The Lost Broadcast Philadelphia 1972
Genre: Blues, Acoustic
Label: Leftfield Media
Released: 2010
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Mighty Tight Woman (3:52)
  2. Rollin' & Tumblin' (3:49)
  3. Any Day Woman (4:12)
  4. Woman Be Wise (3:09)
  5. Thank You (2:49)
  6. Bluebird (3:23)
  7. Finest Lovin' Man (5:29)
  8. Big Road (4:39)
  9. Stayed Too Long (3:10)
  10. Under The Falling Sky (4:14)
  11. Walkin'Blues (4:02)
  12. Can't Find My Way Home (3:08)
  13. Richland Woman Blues (2:57)
  14. Blender Blues (4:37)
  15. Since I Fell For You (3:51)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Bonnie Raitt - guitar, piano, vocals
  • Dan (Freebo) Freeberg - bass
  • T.J. Tindle - guitar, harp
  • John Davis - harp

On 22 February 1972, Bonnie Raitt performed a concert in front of a small audience at Sigma Sound Studios' Rainbow Room in Philadelphia, and the concert was broadcast by local radio station WMMR - this recently released album is a recording of that concert. There are 15 songs including 9 from her debut album, 'Bonnie Raitt', plus 2 from her shortly to be released second album, 'Give It Up'. I have both of these albums, but I bought 'The Lost Broadcast' because I was curious about how those same songs would sound live without a full blown band behind them.

There are 2 or 3 songs that don't grab me as much as the others - but this can be said for most of the albums that I buy. I would have liked to have heard live versions of 'Love Me Like A Man' and 'Love Has No Pride' - but you can't have everything on a one hour live recording. Of the 4 songs not featured on her first 2 albums, 'Blender Blues' is definitely one not to be missed.

The band are introduced at the beginning of the album, but the album liner notes don't give musician credits, so I'm not absolutely certain about some of the instruments played. Bonnie plays acoustic guitar (with and without slide), piano (on 'Thank You') and National steel with resonator (on 'Walkin' Blues'); bass is quite funky on many tracks, but having a more resonant sound on others - so there seems to be a mixture of electric and acoustic bass; other instruments played are electric guitar and harmonica.

As might be expected from live performances, the songs lack some of the polish of their studio equivalents. The music is by no means rhythmically neutral, but I think the addition of some light percussion on the up-tempo songs would have tightened things up a little. Nevertheless, I prefer a few of the songs here to those on the studio albums which, at times, feature horn arrangements that I find a little overpowering (tuba in particular). During the set, there are a couple of brief interruptions from the audience to applaud instrumental solos, but other than this, the audience remains silent during the songs. 'The Lost Broadcast' has a relaxed and intimate mood and it features a whole bunch of great songs with Bonnie in good form, both vocally and with her playing. I've no complaints about the album's sound quality - in fact, subjectively, it sounds pretty good to me.

Bonnie Raitt's early albums garnered critical acclaim but little in the way of commercial success - that was to come some 18 years later when she signed to Capitol Records. Who knows, perhaps one day she will revert to her early style of music - and if she does, I for one, will start buying her albums again. 'The Lost Broadcast' is most likely to be of interest to fans of Bonnie Raitt's early music - it's an album of blues, folk-blues and oldskool singer-songwriter tunes.
By Colin Spence

Return to “Blues (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”