FileCat premium

Roy Eldridge - The Chronological Classics: 1935-1940 (1993) [Swing, Big Band, Dixieland]; FLAC (image+.cue)

Ragtime, Dixieland, Big Band, New Orleans Jazz, Jump Blues, Neo-Swing
Mike1985
Uploader

Roy Eldridge - The Chronological Classics: 1935-1940 (1993) [Swing, Big Band, Dixieland]; FLAC (image+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 12 Mar 2017, 06:09

Artist: Roy Eldridge
Album: The Chronological Classics: 1935-1940
Genre: Swing, Big Band, Dixieland
Label: Classics
Released: 1993
Quality: FLAC (image+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Swingin' at the Famous Door (3:06)
  2. Farewell Blues (3:09)
  3. Christopher Columbus (2:57)
  4. Wabash Stomp (3:08)
  5. Florida Stomp (2:58)
  6. Heckler's Hop (2:36)
  7. Where the Lazy River Goes By (2:35)
  8. That Thing (3:00)
  9. After You've Gone (3:02)
  10. It's My Turn Now (2:53)
  11. You're a Lucky Guy (3:06)
  12. Pluckin' the Bass (3:04)
  13. I'm Getting Sentimental Over You (3:00)
  14. High Society (3:04)
  15. Muskrat Ramble (2:46)
  16. Who Told You I Cared? (3:24)
  17. Does Your Heart Beat for Me? (2:44)
  18. Till We Meet Again (3:12)
  19. A House with a Little Red Barn (3:32)
  20. I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles (3:04)
  21. How High the Moon (3:09)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Although the recordings made by the Delta Four on December 20, 1935, were not issued under the leadership of Roy Eldridge, they form the perfect beginning for a chronological survey of Eldridge's adventures as a major influential artist in the evolution of jazz trumpet between Louis Armstrong in the 1920s and Dizzy Gillespie in the 1940s. The Delta Four were one fine little swing machine. Their "Farewell Blues" has a solid bounce and Eldridge seems to sail over the heads of the rhythm players during "Swingin' at the Famous Door." In 1936 Eldridge's orchestra was equipped with Chu Berry, Buster Bailey, John Kirby, and Sid Catlett. A pity listeners only get to hear one example of this band's handiwork, as Decca rejected its recording of "Christopher Columbus" and apparently asked for nothing more out of this powerful ensemble. In January of 1937 Eldridge managed to make a handful of records for Vocalion. His brother Joe Eldridge wrote arrangements and played alto next to Scoops Carry in the reed department. With Dave Young blowing tenor and Truck Parham in the rhythm section alongside Zutty Singleton, this was one hell of a band. Eldridge cut a lot of versions of "After You've Gone" over the years. The one heard here, with a vocal by Gladys Palmer, predates the famous funny false-start versions of the '40s. Regarding the singers heard on this CD, they're OK but Eldridge is the best. His delightful rendition of "You're a Lucky Guy" feels like a sweet premonition of Billie Holiday's version, which was recorded a couple of months later for Vocalion. The Eldridge Orchestra as heard on the 1939 Varsity recordings featured reedmen Franz Jackson and Prince Robinson, with pianists Kenny Kersey and Clyde Hart. Bassist Ted Sturgis was highlighted during a hot stomp for big band entitled "Pluckin' the Bass." Milt Hinton had ground out his own version of this tune -- composed by the Eldridge brothers -- with Cab Calloway's Orchestra several months prior to the recording heard here. Eldridge's band also blew off some steam working up the old traditional numbers "High Society" and "Muskrat Ramble." This chronological grab bag finishes up with four handsome if conventional big-band recordings from February 1940 by Freddie Rich & His Orchestra. The vocal tracks are not especially substantial. What distinguished this band was the collective presence of Roy Eldridge, Benny Carter, Babe Russin, Clyde Hart, and Hayes Alvis. Only the instrumentals -- "Till We Meet Again" and "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" -- really carry any weight.
Review by arwulf arwulf

Return to “Early Jazz, Swing, Gypsy (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”