FileCat premium

Dick Hyman at the Lowrey Organ and His Orchestra - Fabulous (1963/2013) [Soul-Jazz, Easy Listening]; FLAC (tracks)

Crossover Jazz, Easy Listening
Mike1985
Uploader

Dick Hyman at the Lowrey Organ and His Orchestra - Fabulous (1963/2013) [Soul-Jazz, Easy Listening]; FLAC (tracks)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 12 Mar 2017, 07:35

Artist: Dick Hyman
Album: Fabulous
Genre: Soul-Jazz, Easy Listening
Label: Command/Sinetone AMR
Released: 1963/2013
Quality: FLAC (tracks)
Tracklist:
  1. Washington Square (Goldstein) - 2:29
  2. Danke Schoen (Kaempfert) - 2:10
  3. I'll Be Around (Wilder) - 2:45
  4. Wives & Lovers (Bacharach-David) - 2:51
  5. Sonny Boy (Johnson-DeSylva-Brown-Henderson) - 2:40
  6. What'd I Say (Charles) - 3:10
  7. S'posin' (Razaf-Denniker) - 2:35
  8. So Easy (Hyman) - 3:07
  9. The Best Is Yet to Come (Leigh-Coleman) - 3:16
  10. I'll Remember April (Raye-Paul-Johnston) - 2:38
  11. Living on Borrowed Time (Light-Davies) - 2:28
  12. Mr. Lucky (Mancini) - 2:40

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

The Command label had a lot of great jazz artists, but they frequently seemed stuck in instantly dated and very corny sounding commercial dates that obviously haven't stood the test of time very well. Dick Hyman is heard exclusively on the Lowery organ (a lightweight distant cousin of the better-known Hammond) and, although his supporting cast includes other jazzmen such as Bob Haggart and Osie Johnson (who, like the leader, were in heavy demand for all kinds of recording sessions), there's very little of interest to their fans on this record. "Danke Schoen" is recast as a slightly out-of-tune carousel calliope setting providing some humor, while it would be hard to believe that composer Alec Wilder wouldn't have stormed out of the studio had he been present for the wretched and bland take of his famous ballad, "I'll Be Around." Hyman is a superb pianist and pipe organ player who sounds overly restricted by the limits of this obsolete keyboard, so it is safe for nearly everyone to bypass this long unavailable record.
Review by Ken Dryden

Return to “Smooth, Jazz-Pop (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”