FileCat premium

Art Pepper & Ted Brown feat. Warne Marsh - The Complete Free Wheeling Sessions (2006) [Cool, West Coast Jazz]; FLAC

West Coast Jazz, Soul-Jazz, Standards
Mike1985
Uploader

Art Pepper & Ted Brown feat. Warne Marsh - The Complete Free Wheeling Sessions (2006) [Cool, West Coast Jazz]; FLAC

Unread postby Mike1985 » 04 Apr 2017, 13:36

Artist: Art Pepper & Ted Brown feat. Warne Marsh
Album: The Complete Free Wheeling Sessions
Genre: Cool, West Coast Jazz
Label: Lone Hill Jazz
Released: 1956/2006
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Aretha (5:02)
  2. Long Gone (4:54)
  3. Once We Were Young (3:51)
  4. Foolin Myself (4:37)
  5. Avalon (3:09)
  6. On A Slow Boat To China (5:23)
  7. Crazy, She Calls Me (4:22)
  8. Broadway (6:06)
  9. Arrival (3:53)
  10. I Can not Believe That You are In Love With Me (5:26)
  11. All The Things You Are (6:35)
  12. What's New (4:07)
  13. Tickle Toe (3:53)
  14. Avalon (4:53)
  15. Warnin (5:52)
  16. Stompin At The Savoy (5:48)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Art Pepper - ts (1, 2, 4, 5, 8-16)
  • Ted Brown - ts (1-9)
  • Warne Marsh - ts
  • Ronnie Ball - p
  • Ben Tucker - b
  • Jeff Morton - d (1-9)
  • Gary Frommer - d (10-16)

Lone Hill Jazz presents a package of vintage cool West Coast jazz, bringing to light 16 excellent tracks that have all but fallen through the cracks over the years. On Monday, November 26, 1956 (which just happened to be the day that Tommy Dorsey died), tenor saxophonists Ted Brown and Warne Marsh brought their working quintet into a Los Angeles recording studio to make Brown's first album as a leader, with special guest alto saxophonist Art Pepper adding his own third dimension.

Brown's rhythm section consisted of pianist Ronnie Ball, bassist Ben Tucker, and drummer Jeff Morton. This sextet's music is extraordinarily personable; the ballads ("Once We Were Young") and relaxed grooves ("Foolin' Myself") are beautifully rendered, while the upbeat numbers ("Avalon") have a quicksilver quality that stems from the fact that Brown and Marsh were both students of Lennie Tristano. Putting Pepper all over the top of the band resulted in a marvelous blend of hearts and minds. For years a rare collector's item, Free Wheeling by the Ted Brown Sextet featuring Art Pepper (Vanguard LP 8515) is now available for the first time on compact disc. What makes this compilation even tastier is the inclusion of material recorded on the same day using the same ensemble without Ted Brown and with Gary Frommer replacing Jeff Morton. The front-line combination of Pepper and Marsh works incredibly well. According to Lee Konitz, who sat in on the date only to listen, this is some of the best work that Warne Marsh ever did in a recording studio. Given his passion for this particular corner of the music, it would be interesting to hear what Anthony Braxton would have to say about it. Some of the Pepper/Marsh tracks first appeared in 1966 on Art Pepper's Contemporary album The Way It Was. To have access to all of these master takes from this one day of collective creativity is a thrill, a treat, and a blessing.
Freejazzito

Re: Art Pepper & Ted Brown feat. Warne Marsh - The Complete Free Wheeling Sessions (2006) [Cool, West Coast Jazz]; FLAC

Unread postby Freejazzito » 24 Jan 2021, 11:39

Uno de los grandes músicos del West Coast jazz, con sus: saxo alto y tenor, agradecido.

Return to “Mainstream Jazz, Cool (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”