FileCat premium

Chet Baker Quartet - Jazz At Ann Arbor (1954/2002) [Cool, West Coast Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

West Coast Jazz, Soul-Jazz, Standards
Mike1985
Uploader

Chet Baker Quartet - Jazz At Ann Arbor (1954/2002) [Cool, West Coast Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 13 Apr 2017, 08:21

Artist: Chet Baker Quartet
Album: Jazz At Ann Arbor
Genre: Cool, West Coast Jazz
Label: Pacific Jazz / Toshiba-EMI
Released: 1954/2002
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Line For Lyons (7:32)
  2. Lover Man (5:59)
  3. My Funny Valentine (5:30)
  4. Maid In Mexico (5:17)
  5. Stella By Starlight (4:23)
  6. My Old Flame (6:06)
  7. Headline (5:05)
  8. Russ Job (6:08)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Chet Baker - trumpet
  • Russ Freeman - piano
  • Carson Smith - bass
  • Bob Neal - drums

Chet Baker (trumpet) was arguably at the peak of his prowess when captured in a quartet setting at the Masonic Temple in Ann Arbor, MI, May 9, 1954. He's joined by Russ Freeman (piano), Carson Smith (bass) and Bob Neel (drums), all of whom provide ample assistance without ever obscuring their leader's laid-back and refined style. Baker's sublime sounds also garnered notice from critics, who had placed him atop polls in both Metronome and Down Beat magazines the previous year.

Evidence of these lauds are obvious upon listening to the combo as they nestle into one of the cornerstones in their repertoire, the suave "Line for Lyons" – a track dating back to the artist's short-lived yet genre defining work with the song's author, Gerry Mulligan. Almost immediately after establishing the melodic theme, Baker dives into his trademark solos. The fluidity throughout the seemingly off-the-cuff excursions presents confirmation of both his unquestionable timing and understated subtle authority. The rhythm section ably follows the improvisations with solid, yet never overpowering support. Freeman also shines throughout, especially during the stately opening to "Lover Man" or the up-tempo jiving "Maid in Mexico." Other classics include the stark intimacy of Baker's signature "My Funny Valentine," as well as respectively frisky renditions of "Stella by Starlight" and Freeman's own crowd-pleasing "Russ Job."

Return to “Mainstream Jazz, Cool (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”