FileCat premium

Pharoah Sanders - Oh Lord, Let Me Do No Wrong (1989) [Spiritual Jazz, Free Improvisation]; APE (image+.cue)

Free-Funk, Experimental Jazz
Mike1985
Uploader

Pharoah Sanders - Oh Lord, Let Me Do No Wrong (1989) [Spiritual Jazz, Free Improvisation]; APE (image+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 20 Apr 2017, 07:45

Artist: Pharoah Sanders
Album: Oh Lord, Let Me Do No Wrong
Genre: Spiritual Jazz, Free Improvisation
Label: CBS Records
Released: 1989
Quality: APE (image+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Oh Lord, Let Me Do No Wrong
  2. Equinox
  3. Polka Dots and Moonbeams
  4. If It Wasn't for a Woman
  5. Clear Out of This World
  6. Next Time You See Me

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Pharoah Sanders - tenor sax
  • Darald Smith - el.piano
  • William S.Henderson III - ac.piano
  • Tarik Shah - bass
  • Greg Banoy - drums
  • Leon Thomas - voc

Although Pharoah Sanders was originally considered a firebrand, thanks to his wild early free jazz work in the '60s, his later records are actually more in the tradition of players like his one-time leader John Coltrane and, especially, Rahsaan Roland Kirk. The title track from this 1987 session could have been on any of Kirk's Atlantic albums, a mixture of gospel sway and free jazz honk that builds into a hypnotic swoon under Leon Thomas' rich baritone vocals. (Thomas also appears on his own composition, the blues "If It Wasn't for a Woman," and the closing "Next Time You See Me.") On the extended, relaxed take of Coltrane's "Equinox," Sanders doesn't try to copy his former boss' phrasing, but there's certainly a Coltrane-like elegance to Sanders' lyrical solo. In fact, Sanders' playing on the standard "Polka Dots and Moonbeams," which also features a lovely Vince Guaraldi-like piano solo by William S. Henderson III, is downright pretty. Oh Lord, Let Me Do No Wrong is a mellow and peaceful set by a player who no longer needs to make noise; whether old-school fans will appreciate this is debatable.
Review by Stewart Mason

Return to “Avant-Garde Jazz, Free Improvisation (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”