FileCat premium

The Best of Lou Rawls: The Capitol Jazz & Blues Sessions (2006) [Vocal Jazz, Soul, Blues]; FLAC (image+.cue)

Vocal Jazz
Mike1985
Uploader

The Best of Lou Rawls: The Capitol Jazz & Blues Sessions (2006) [Vocal Jazz, Soul, Blues]; FLAC (image+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 27 Apr 2017, 08:18

Artist: Lou Rawls
Album: The Best of Lou Rawls: The Capitol Jazz & Blues Sessions
Genre: Vocal Jazz, Soul, Blues
Label: Blue Note Records
Released: 2006
Quality: FLAC (image+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Motherless Child (2006 Digital Remaster) 3:16
  2. God Bless The Child (2006 Digital Remaster) 4:29
  3. Nobody But Me (2006 Digital Remaster) 2:48
  4. Blues For The Weepers (2006 Digital Remaster) 3:49
  5. Goin' To Chicago Blues (2006 Digital Remaster) 2:53
  6. How Long, How Long Blues (2006 Digital Remaster) 4:22
  7. Southside Blues/Tobacco Road (medley) (2005 Digital Remaster) 7:58
  8. Something Stirring In My Soul (2006 Digital Remaster) 3:07
  9. Georgia On My Mind (2006 Digital Remaster) 3:19
  10. So Hard to Laugh, So Easy To Cry (2006 Digital Remaster) 3:18
  11. Old Folks (2006 Digital Remaster) 2:19
  12. Somebody Have Mercy (2006 Digital Remaster) 6:50
  13. Why (Do I Love You So) (2006 Digital Remaster) 2:46
  14. Street Of Dreams (2006 Digital Remaster) 2:57
  15. I Wonder (2006 Digital Remaster) 2:40
  16. Let's Burn Down The Cornfield (2006 Digital Remaster) 3:03
  17. One For My Baby, One More For The Road (2006 Digital Remaster) 4:26
  18. Mean Old World 2:24
  19. Long Gone Blues 2:30
  20. Fine And Mellow 3:38

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Many people may remember Lou Rawls as a fundraiser, a pitchman for Budweiser or a silky-smooth '70s soul crooner, but when he signed to Capitol in the early '60s, Rawls was strictly a jazz and blues singer. Sure he tried for hits, and even struck occasionally, with "Love Is a Hurtin' Thing" and "Your Good Thing (Is About to End)," but he was at his best when tackling the material that is collected on The Best of Lou Rawls: The Capitol Jazz & Blues Sessions. A nice mix of jazz standards, blues, pop-gospel and big band swing, the disc showcases Rawls' flexibility, light touch, and his one-of-a-kind voice as he struts and swaggers through the up-tempo tracks like "Nobody but Me," "Street of Dreams," or "Goin' to Chicago Blues," and as he gets down to something real and gritty on the ballads like "Blues for the Weepers," "How Long, How Long Blues," "So Hard to Laugh, So Easy to Cry," and the centerpiece of the album, his medley of "Southside Blues" and "Tobacco Road," which features one of Rawls' patented monologues. With help from producers like Nick Venet and David Axelrod, as well as arrangers like Benny Carter, Benny Golson, and the great H.B. Barnum, Rawls' records have always sounded near-perfect, hearing them in a setting like this only spotlights what a good working environment Rawls could create. The collection isn't perfect; as one could argue about the omission of his 1962 take on "(They Call It) Stormy Monday," or his mellow "Gee Baby, Ain't I Good to You." However, it is one hell of a fine listen that anyone who loves Rawls should add to their collection, especially if you only know him for his post-1970 work [A boon for collectors are the three bonus tracks from a recently unearthed session Rawls cut with the Curtis Amy Sextet that is as close as he came to being a hard bop singer. It is a fascinating find and as the liner notes state, it is truly a shame that there were no more songs recorded by the group.]
Review by Tim Sendra

Return to “Vocal Jazz (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”