FileCat premium

The Three Sounds - Some Like It Modern (1963/2000) [Post-Bop, Soul Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Hard Bop, Post-Bop, Neo-Bop
Mike1985
Uploader

The Three Sounds - Some Like It Modern (1963/2000) [Post-Bop, Soul Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 28 Sep 2017, 11:14

Artist: The Three Sounds
Album: Some Like It Modern
Genre: Post-Bop, Soul Jazz
Label: Mercury/Universal
Released: 1963/2000
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Caesar and Cleopatra (North) - 2:52
  2. After Hours (Parrish-Feyne-Bruce) - 2:49
  3. On the Sunny Side of the Street (Fields-McHugh) - 3:03
  4. Mr. Lucky (from the CBS-TV Series "Mr Lucky") (Mancini) - 2:52
  5. I'm Getting Sentimental over You (Bassman-Washington) - 3:16
  6. Rat Down Front (Haire) - 2:48
  7. Lazy River (Carmichael-Arodin) - 2:16
  8. Sentimental Journey (Homer-Brown-Green) - 3:34
  9. There's Something Nice About the Rain (Haire) - 2:39
  10. Let's Dance (Stone-Bonime-Baldridge) - 2:35
  11. Elbows and Armpits (Haire) - 5:14

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Gene Harris - piano
  • Andrew Simpkins - bass
  • Bill Dowdy - drums

I was also pleasantly surprised to see the legend himself QUINCY JONES as the Musical Director!

This album came from a crate of old jazz records I received from a friend last year. It was like Christmas morning getting all these new records! Although I've gone through a good number of them already there are still a few that remain. I chose this one in particular to review for 2 reasons. 1 being that the cartoonish and vibrant cover caught my eye and 2 being the fact that I have a soft spot for jazz trios. Nothing beats a smooth jazz three piece. I absolutely love the piano, upright bass and drums combination!

Expectation:
I've been really into jazz as of late so I'm pretty sure this album is going to hit the spot. As mentioned above I love trio's and the fact that Quincy Jones has a hand in this almost guarantees a solid album! Their tag line sets things up nicely, "1 terrific LP + 3 sounds 4 you" I'm not great at math but I'm pretty sure that equals a great time!

Reality:
Despite my first two reviews I've decided to forgo the song by song review of an album and instead focus in on the key points I want to make. I found that the song by song made the reviews longer than I wanted them to be and probably not as exciting to read. I also found that I missed key points I wanted to make under that format. I still believe the flow of an album is a key point and I'll try to hit on that in most reviews. That being said I'll try to touch upon all the songs to give people a sense of what I thought of each, it just won't be as straight up as before.

We head into side 1 needle first. The first song is called "Caesar and Cleopatra" and was apparently used as the theme for the film "Cleopatra" which is pretty cool. According to the album Gene Harris played the celeste with his right hand and piano with his left on this track! That's talent! The opening of this album is as smooth as a marble kitchen top. For me the piano work stands out early especially on the bluesy track "After Hours". He runs up and down those keys with such fluidity. Not to be out done Simpkins provides great bass work on tracks like "Mr. Lucky' "I'm Gettin' Sentimental Over You" and especially on "On The Sunny Side Of The Street" which has a great swinging bass intro and is my favourite song of side 1. "I'm Gettin' Sentimental Over You" has a great romantic feeling that you can dance to with your spouse. Side 1 finishes with the up tempo song "Rat Down Front" which is a solid toe tapper and would make even the angriest man in the room crack a smile.

Side 2 prepares you to do the twist with "Lazy River" off the top. This up tempo song sets up this side of the album nicely with great piano work. Dowdy's drums don't stand out that much on this album but on this track he certainly does shine. His timing is impeccable throughout this entire album but Harris seems to be the star and steals many of the songs. Dowdy's drumming on "There's Something Nice About The Rain" flows amazingly well and the light symbol taps accent the rhythm nicely. I enjoy the loungey sounds of "Sentimental Journey" and "There's Something Nice About The Rain" which makes me want to wear a suit, pour a glass of scotch and puff cubans while bobbing my head in delight. "Elbows And Armpits" and "Let's Dance" takes us back to a more up tempo classic trio sound. "Elbows And Armpits" is a great send off to this album that leaves you wanting more from this group. The fast fingers of Harris glide up and down the piano with such melody. He doesn't miss a note. Simpkins bass takes you for a walk that you never want to end while Dowdy supports this with some classic jazz drumming. A great feel good tune which is a stand out for the whole album

Final Thoughts:
I thought this was a great album and they were exactly what I was looking for in a jazz trio. I'm a sucker for this stuff so I may be a bit bias for this review but dammit, I really enjoyed this album! It's the kind of album you can just put on and relax too. Smooth jazz. Gotta love it. This has definitely made me want to search for more albums by The Three Sounds and anything with Harris. This is what I'm looking for in a jazz band! My expectations were surpassed.
Review by Mark Church

Return to “Bop (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”