FileCat premium

James Hunter - ...Believe What I Say (1996/2006) [Soul-Blues]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Texas, Chicago, Modern and Others
Mike1985
Uploader

James Hunter - ...Believe What I Say (1996/2006) [Soul-Blues]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 11 Oct 2017, 14:18

Artist: James Hunter
Album: ...Believe What I Say
Genre: Soul-Blues
Label: Hepcat
Released: 1996/2006
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Two Can Play (3:32)
  2. Way Down Inside (2:26)
  3. The Very Thought of You (2:39)
  4. It Ain't Funny (2:50)
  5. Turn on Your Love Light (with Van Morrison) (3:19)
  6. Let Me Know (3:05)
  7. I'll Walk Away (3:54)
  8. I Wanna Get Old With You (2:48)
  9. Hallelujah I Love Her So (2:46)
  10. Believe What I Say (3:06)
  11. Out of Sight (3:07)
  12. Don't Step on It (3:20)
  13. Hear Me Calling (with Doris Tray) (3:17)
  14. Ain't Nothing You Can Do (with Van Morrison) (3:07)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

The singer/songwriter James Hunter introduced his retro blue-eyed soul approach with this 1996 debut. The smooth Sam Cooke/Clyde McPhatter-influenced vocals weren't quite as confident at his career's start, but for the most part, those smitten by People Gonna Talk will find this a terrific addition to their small Hunter collections. To his credit, Van Morrison was an early supporter, and he appears here on two Bobby "Blue" Bland covers. Morrison had already covered "Ain't Nothing You Can Do" on his live It's Too Late to Stop Now release, so it's likely he brought that to Hunter's attention. "Turn on Your Lovelight" sounds like it could have come off Morrison's His Band and the Street Choir, as he trades verses and harmonizes with Hunter in a spirited performance. Hunter's vocals emphasize Ray Charles more on this album, and not just on the cover of "Hallelujah I Love Her So." The original "Let Me Know" is fashioned from Charles' soul-blues-gospel, right down to the Raelettes-styled backing vocals. Damian Hand and Nick Lunt's sax section is integral to the snappy groove, and bringing the great soul woman Doris Troy along for a duet on "Hear Me Calling" is another classy move. But it's Hunter's terrific voice, sparse yet jazzy guitar, and excellent original songs that make this album so fresh, crisp, and hip.
Review by Hal Horowitz

Return to “Blues (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”