FileCat premium

Levitts - We Are The Levitts (1968/2008) [Funk, Bossa Nova, Avant-Garde]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Funk, Soul, R&B
Mike1985
Uploader

Levitts - We Are The Levitts (1968/2008) [Funk, Bossa Nova, Avant-Garde]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 07 Dec 2017, 16:18

Artist: Levitts
Album: We Are The Levitts
Genre: Funk, Bossa Nova, Avant-Garde
Label: ESP Disk
Released: 1968/2008
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. The Saints of My City Are Children (4:46)
  2. Notes So High (6:01)
  3. Fun City (4:26)
  4. Then Was Then (2:36)
  5. Springtime (Primavera) (2:58)
  6. Candy (2:48)
  7. Once I Had a Little Duck (0:40)
  8. Departed Hymn (3:45)
  9. O Amor en Paz (4:34)
  10. Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most (4:30)
  11. We're All Through (Theme Song) (5:20)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

One look at the front family photo of mom/pop and kids the Levitts could easily suggest, at face value, bubblegum, flower power music à la the Partridge Family or the Brady Bunch, circa the late '60s/early '70s. Don't judge this book by its wholesome cover, as this group of parents, brothers, and sisters play much more sophisticated and grown-up music than the teeny boppers of their generation. Jazz drummer Al Levitt and his wife/vocalist Stella Levitt were well known for their exploits with such jazz notables as Georgie Auld, Lionel Hampton, Stan Getz and many others, especially when Al lived in Paris in the '50s. Their talented children included 13-year-old guitarist Sean Levitt, 15-year-old drummer George Levitt, and 16-year-old vocalist Michelle Levitt, with four other siblings ranging in age from six to fourteen. Add a young pianist named Chick Corea, veteran bassist Teddy Kotick, saxophonist/flutist Pete Yellin, newly discovered baritone saxophonist Ronnie Cuber, and other friends of the Levitts. The combination of these players and singers produces music influenced by sunshine pop and Brazilian music, with some healthy bop tossed in for kicks. Stella Levitt is an outstanding singer reminiscent of Chris Connor, as she interprets ballad standards "Then Was Then" or "Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most," and she sings a new lyric over the familiar quick waltz mode of "My Favorite Things" on "Notes So High" with the famous sidemen. Cuber leads with the fleet Corea on the hard swinger "We're All Through" based on the changes of "Milestones." Clearly a fan of Antonio Carlos Jobim and João Gilberto, The Levitts do a great version of "O Amor en Paz" with Corea digging in while featuring Yellin's fine flute playing with the all stars, as well as the bossa nova tune "Springtime," sung in Portuguese by Stella Levitt. Bossa meets pop during "Candy" with a Beatles style reference to "peppermint skies," while "Fun City" brings the hippie music approach home, sung by Michelle Levitt in a mood parallel to "Watermelon Man." The children's chorus chimes in on the opener "The Saints of My City Are Children," while 11-year-old Teresa Levitt plays piano and sings on the totally cute, 35-second shortie "Once I Had a Little Duck." By stark contrast, the serious track "Departed Hymn" is a bluesy, recited tale by George Levitt, of two men who were killed in their prime of life. This is a delightful album, reflective of the time, progressive and diverse in many ways, and worth a revisit here, or as some sort of a reunion later in this life of this interesting musical family.
Review by Michael G. Nastos

Return to “Funk, Soul, R&B (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”