FileCat premium

VA - Mavis Staples: I'll Take You There: An All-Star Concert Celebration (2017) [Soul, Blues]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Texas, Chicago, Modern and Others
Mike1985
Uploader

VA - Mavis Staples: I'll Take You There: An All-Star Concert Celebration (2017) [Soul, Blues]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 15 Dec 2017, 13:21

Artist: Various
Album: Mavis Staples: I'll Take You There: An All-Star Concert Celebration
Genre: Soul, Rhythm & Blues
Label: Caroline International
Released: 2017
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
    CD 1:
  1. Joan Osborne - You're Driving Me (To The Arms Of A Stranger) (4:09)
  2. Keb' Mo - Heavy Makes You Happy (4:31)
  3. Otis Clay - I Ain't Raisin' No Sand (4:41)
  4. Buddy Miller - Woke Up This Morning (With My Mind On Jesus) (3:22)
  5. Patty Griffin - Waiting For My Child To Come Home (4:28)
  6. Emmylou Harris - Far Celestial Shore (3:06)
  7. Michael McDonald - Freedom Highway (3:39)
  8. Glen Hansard - People Get Ready (4:28)
  9. Mavis Staples & Aaron Neville - Respect Yourself (3:42)
  10. Ryan Bingham - If You're Ready (Come Go With Me) (4:19)
  11. Widespread Panic - Hope In A Hopeless World (5:22)
  12. Grace Potter - Grandma's Hands (4:08)
  13. Eric Church - Eyes On The Prize (4:40)

CD 2:
  1. Taj Mahal - Wade In The Water (3:24)
  2. Gregg Allman - Have A Little Faith (4:31)
  3. Mavis Staples & Bonnie Raitt - Turn Me Around (4:20)
  4. Mavis Staples, Bonnie Raitt, Taj Mahal, Gregg Allman & Aaron Neville - Will The Circle Be Unbroken (5:29)
  5. Mavis Staples, Win Butler & Regine Chassagne - Slippery People (4:56)
  6. Mavis Staples & Jeff Tweedy - You Are Not Alone (4:17)
  7. Mavis Staples - I'll Take You There (10:41)
  8. Full Ensemble - The Weight (5:54)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Staples was the subject of an elaborate tribute concert at downtown Chicago’s historic Auditorium Theatre that celebrated the music legend’s 75th birthday. A long list of special guests—from Emmylou Harris, Patty Griffin and Bonnie Raitt to Jeff Tweedy, Gregg Allman, Eric Church and two members of Arcade Fire—performed songs Staples has recorded and sung throughout her nearly lifelong career, as a solo artist as well as a member of her famed gospel-soul family group the Staple Singers.

Titled “I’ll Take You There: Celebrating 75 Years Of Mavis Staples,” the concert actually wasn’t just a party honoring one person—as wonderful as Staples is. The more than four-hour show turned out to be a rich celebration of the wide, wonderful world of American music as a whole, from rousing gospel and quiet folk to gritty blues, funk, rock and some truly soulful grooves.

The fact that this diverse range of music all in some way or another had a direct line to Staples shows just how deeply she’s threaded within American music—and how influential she’s been throughout her career, from her early gospel recordings to her Civil Rights songs, through the Soul Train era and on up to the recent albums she’s cut with producer Jeff Tweedy.

“I don’t care if you go to church or not, she touches the soul,” said Terri Hemmert of WXRT (a CBS Radio station), who introduced the evening.
Grace Potter echoed those sentiments, too. It’s great to play for the woman who “probably influenced me more than anyone else in the whole world,” Potter said of Staples, before launching into a beautiful, unhurried version of “Grandma’s Hands.”

Many more artists, too, couldn’t help but lavish praise on Staples at various points during the evening. Raitt described Staples as “one of the most positive and spiritually uplifting people on planet earth”—which, judging from the smile beaming from Staples face all evening, was probably quite true. And Arcade Fire’s Win Butler even led the other guests, and the crowd, in an impromptu version of “Happy Birthday” that sweetly closed the 23-song set.

The show kicked off on an energetic note as Joan Osborne, standing against moody backdrop of tiny green and blue star lights, delivered an impressive, full-throated version of Staples’ 1969 song “You’re Driving Me (to the Arms of a Stranger).” Backing her was an impressive 13-piece band that included vocal trio the McCrary Sisters, organist Matt Rollings and bassist Don Was, who was also the evening’s musical director.

Osborne was followed by Keb Mo, Chicago soul great Otis Clay and country/Americana artist Buddy Miller, who delivered another early highlight, the gospel gem “Woke Up this Morning (With My Mind on Jesus).” Miller smartly brought the McCrary Sisters up front for his performance, and their rich harmonies made an enticing contrast against his gritty guitar leads.

If the show had star power and musical strength, what it lacked was flow. This was largely an issue of logistics. It was being taped for later release on DVD, which required set changes between each song. The waits were unavoidable, but they broke the music’s spell and left the audience chattering or checking their phones. Still, the crowd stayed put, and when each new performer took the stage, their enthusiasm returned.

Roebuck “Pops” Staples first formed his family band with children Cleotha, Pervis, Yvonne and Mavis in the late 1940s, and so the songs during last night’s tribute reached back well more than half a century. Among the newer material was Emmylou Harris’ version of “Far Celestial Shore,” a Nick Lowe song that appears on Staples’ 2013 album One True Vine. On the other end of the spectrum was the Carter Family classic “Will the Circle Be Unbroken.” Staples, who took the stage for this version (alongside Raitt, Allman, Taj Mahal and Aaron Neville), told the audience it was “the very first song our father taught us.” The five artists sat on stools and took turns on each verse, though Staples couldn’t help herself—when her turn came she stood up and walked to the front of the stage, obviously moved by the material and the moment.

Some of the songs felt like surprises, such as Widespread Panic‘s crowd-pleasing version of Buffalo Springfield’s “For What It’s Worth.” What’s the connection? The Staple Singers actually recorded the song in 1967. Griffin, Potter, Harris and Ryan Bingham teamed up for a take on Bob Dylan’s “A Hard Rain’s Gonna Fall,” which the Staple Singers cut in 1973. And Arcade Fire’s Butler and Regine Chassagne brought out Staples to join them on another unusual cover, the Talking Heads’ “Slippery People,” which again the famed gospel-soul group had had the foresight to cover (in 1984).

Michael McDonald may have seemed an odd choice for the Civil Rights anthem “Freedom Highway”—a song he described as crossing “pure gospel” with “socially relevant” content, and one that is “sadly as relevant today as ever” — but his rendition was less slick than expected, showing true soul. Another artist who at first seemed out of place here was country star Eric Church. But Church is often full of surprises, and his cover of “Eyes on the Prize” was spirited and genuine.

Wilco‘s Jeff Tweedy, who produced One True Vine and the previous Staples album You Are Not Alone, took the stage toward the end for a nicely low-key version of the latter’s title track, accompanied by his son Spencer as well as Staples. Then Staples and her five-piece band took over and launched into one of the Staple Singers’ biggest hit songs, “I’ll Take You There.”

Finally, the entire cast of artists returned for a song pretty much everyone was waiting for, a mighty version of “The Weight,” the 1968 song by The Band that has become a signature for Staples. It was a powerful moment, the sound filling the auditorium completely, the artists standing amicably side by side, and it left everyone satisfied.

Return to “Blues (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”