FileCat premium

Connie Evingson and the John Jorgenson Quintet - All the Cats Join In (2014) [Vocal Jazz, Gypsy]; FLAC (tracks)

Vocal Jazz
Mike1985
Uploader

Connie Evingson and the John Jorgenson Quintet - All the Cats Join In (2014) [Vocal Jazz, Gypsy]; FLAC (tracks)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 12 Jan 2018, 17:03

Artist: Connie Evingson and the John Jorgenson Quintet
Album: All the Cats Join In
Genre: Vocal Jazz, Gypsy
Label: Minnehaha Music
Released: 2014
Quality: FLAC (tracks)
Tracklist:
  1. Love Me or Leave Me
  2. I Can't Believe That You're in Love With Me
  3. Dream a Little Dream of Me
  4. Jardin D'hiver
  5. All the Cats Join In / Tickle Toe
  6. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
  7. Black Orpheus
  8. I'll Follow the Sun
  9. Solitude
  10. Jersey Bounce
  11. You're Driving Me Crazy
  12. Moonlight
  13. World Without Love
  14. The Lamp Is Low

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Connie Evingson - vocals
  • John Jorgenson - lead guitar
  • Doug Martin - rhythm guitar
  • Jason Anick - violin
  • Simon Planting - bass
  • Rick Reed - drums

Connie Evingson's tenth release on Minnehaha Music and her third hot club album was recorded with John Jorgenson's Quintet in Minneapolis at Creation Audio, save the one special title track that Connie and Jorgenson's group put together in New York with NEA Jazz Master Jon Hendricks. The fourteen tunes cover a wide range of standards and some interesting choices --two from Paul McCartney, one from French singer/songwriter Karen Ann, and of course the title medley of Eddie Sauter's "All the Cats Join In" paired with Lester Young's "Tickle Toe" sporting Hendrick's vocalese lyrics. Regardless of origin, these arrangements tend to vary more in mood than tempo or rhythm, as is typically the case with hot club repertoire. And as such, this music requires deft presentation and interpretation to maintain interest over fourteen tracks-- a feat that presents no problem for Connie or the ensemble. The program itself is one reason--Connie has not recorded any of these tunes on her other nine albums, and when you cover everything from Harold Arlen to Jimmy NcHugh, from Luis Bonfa to John Williams, from Ellington to McCartney, you have a wide range of material to work with! And then there's the crazy quilt of moods shaped so well by Connie's phrasing and timing, and here also supported particularly by the virtuosity of John Jorgenson (guitar, clarinet and vocals) and Jason Anick (violin).

The album opens with that trademark up-and-down, slowly paced rhythm guitar (Doug Martin) on Walter Donaldson/Gus Kahn's "Love Me or Leave Me," introducing the pairing of Jorgenson (guitar and clarinet) and Anick (violin), a tandem arrangement that distinguishes much of the recording. Anick leads the instrumental charge on the bright, seldom-heard Jimmy McHugh tune, "I Can't Believe That You're in Love With Me," with Jorgenson's clarinet and Rick Reed's drums adding special touches. Karen Ann's "Jardin D'hiver" is a meditative song with French lyrics buoyed by Anick's beautifully yearning violin.

The McCartney tunes work surprisingly well as gypsy jazz swing. "I'll Follow the Sun" features Jorgenson's "background" vocal which seems much more, with lovely harmonizing among Connie and John. They give "World Without Love" similar, but more adventurous treatment. The guitar-only support on John Williams' "Moonlight" (lyrics by the Bergmans) throws the moonlight onto Connie's stunning vocal arrangement, while tunes such as Walter Donaldson's "You're Driving Me Crazy" highlight her impeccable timing and vocal dexterity. With violin and clarinet adding "midnight glow," the ensemble makes the closing "The Lamp Is Low" an instrumental highlight.

But nothing can surpass the all-out fun of the title track. And what could be better than Connie dueling with Jon Hendricks? Melding "All the Cats Join In" (Eddie Sauter with lyrics from Alec Wilder, Ray Gilbert and Jessica Molaskey) with Lester Young's "Tickle Toe" infused with Hendrick's vocalese, this track is one delight after another. Connie takes the first verse solo then turns it over to Hendricks, take back the lead on the first verse of "Tickle Toe" displaying her own vocal gymnastics. The two go back and forth, vocalese, duo harmonies, Hendricks scatting as only he can. My only very mild criticism of this album is that this track might have better ended the set--it's such a high point.

Return to “Vocal Jazz (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”