FileCat premium

Jimmy Rosenberg & Stian Carstensen - Rose Room (2005) [Gypsy Jazz, Swing]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Ragtime, Dixieland, Big Band, New Orleans Jazz, Jump Blues, Neo-Swing
Mike1985
Uploader

Jimmy Rosenberg & Stian Carstensen - Rose Room (2005) [Gypsy Jazz, Swing]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 28 Feb 2018, 13:07

Artist: Jimmy Rosenberg & Stian Carstensen
Album: Rose Room
Genre: Gypsy Jazz, Swing
Label: Hot Club Records
Released: 2005
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Joseph, Joseph (Trad. Jewish) - 6:11
  2. Rose Room (Hickman-Williams) - 5:10
  3. Lady Be Good (Gershwin) - 3:09
  4. Nuages (Reinhardt) - 4:32
  5. Dark Eyes (Trad. Russian) - 4:05
  6. Lulu Swing (L.Reinhardt) - 3:56
  7. Pent-Up House (Rollins) - 4:20
  8. Bei Mir Bist du Schon (Secunda) - 3:38
  9. I Found a New Baby (Williams-Palmer) - 3:07
  10. I'm in the Mood for Love (McHugh) - 4:59
  11. There's Gonna Be a Party for the Old Folks (Wills) - 2:05
  12. The Old Country (Adderley) - 3:41

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

The music of Django Reinhardt lives on! In addition to continuing reissues of the great Gypsy guitarist's recordings, modern musicians continue to pay tribute to and expand on his legacy. Among these are Seattle, Washington's Pearl Django and the Hot Club of Norway, whose record label puts out their own recordings as well as those of the Dutch Gypsy guitar prodigy, Jimmy Rosenberg. Rosenberg has recorded with the Hot Club of Norway and has also put out several solo and duet recordings, the latest of which teams him with the eclectic Norwegian accordeonist, Stian Carstensen.

Rose Room is a spectacular showcase of acoustic jazz, played by two of the hottest swingers on the Continent. I'm convinced that Carstensen can play any piece in any style on his accordeon, from Balkan jazz to polkas to Americana to French bal musette. And he has a sense of playful exuberance and nimble fingers that make him just as good an accompanist for this Djangoesque guitarist as was Stephane Grappelli for Django himself. Rosenberg, himself a mere 25 years old, has not only mastered the technical aspects of Reinhardt's style, but brings something of his own passion and wit to his playing as well.

This recording is all over the map in its program, from traditional Yiddish tunes to Western swing, hot jazz to cool bop, show tunes to Russian laments. It kicks off with the traditional klezmer number "Joseph, Joseph," its intro all dark accordeon chords behind lightning guitar arpeggios that seem to run the entire length of the guitar's neck. The title track features a lush romantic introduction that kicks into a joyous cabaret swing. Gershwin's "Lady Be Good" gets a manic but precise reading, and the two musicians pull out all the stops for one of Django's signature tunes, the achingly romantic "Nuages." Making full use of both of the accordeon's keyboards, Carstensen allows his instrument to give a fair approximation of all the parts played by the original Hot Club Quintet, bending blue notes, fluttering the bass keys and taking off on a lilting version of the melody in one verse, while Rosenberg leaps from lead to accompaniment and back.

The album continues with the traditional Russian "Dark Eyes," the "Lulu Swing," Sonny Rollins' "Pent-Up House," Spencer Williams hot-jazz standard "I Found a New Baby," Jimmy McHugh's soothing "I'm In the Mood for Love," Bob Wills' jumping "There's Gonna Be a Party for the Old Folks," and bop cornetist Nat Adderley's "The Old Country." Another highlight is a lovely reading of Sholom Secunda's Yiddish-pop masterpiece originally recorded by the Andrews Sisters, "Be Mir Bist Du Schon."

Rose Room was recorded live in the studio with no overdubs. The sound is beautifully rendered; with headphones, I felt at times that Carstensen was playing his accordeon right behind my right ear, Rosenberg's guitar the left. If I have a complaint, it's that with only a couple of exceptions, the whole album is played fast or faster -- don't drink anything with caffeine before you listen to this one. But listen you should, and just try to sit still when you do.
Review by Gary Whitehouse

Return to “Early Jazz, Swing, Gypsy (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”