FileCat premium

Norma Winstone - Dance Without Answer (2013) [Modern Creative, Vocal Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Chamber Jazz, Improvised Music, Avant-Garde Crossover
Mike1985
Uploader

Norma Winstone - Dance Without Answer (2013) [Modern Creative, Vocal Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 28 Mar 2018, 15:55

Artist: Norma Winstone
Album: Dance Without Answer
Genre: Modern Creative, Vocal Jazz
Label: ECM Records
Released: 2013
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Dance Without Answer (5:18)
  2. Cucurrucucu Paloma (4:08)
  3. High Places (7:11)
  4. Gust Da Essi Viva (4:41)
  5. A Tor A Tor (2:50)
  6. Live To Tell (4:59)
  7. It Might Be You (4:49)
  8. Time Of No Reply (3:58)
  9. San Diego Serenade (4:40)
  10. A Breath Away (5:11)
  11. Bein' Green (4:44)
  12. Slow Fox (5:12)
  13. Everybody's Talkin' (4:53)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Norma Winstone - voice
  • Glauco Venier - piano
  • Klaus Gesing - bass clarinet, soprano saxophone

The third ECM album by the trio of Great British jazz singer Norma Winstone, Italian pianist Glauco Venier and German clarinetist / saxophonist Klaus Gesing was recorded in December 2012 at Auditorio Radiotelevisione svizzera, Lugano, with Manfred Eicher as producer. Dance Without Answer pools material from diverse sources. Alongside the striking self-penned songs, there are pieces by idiosyncratic singer/songwriters Fred Neil, Nick Drake and Tom Waits, as well as tunes associated with the cinema, with contemporary pop, with a children’s television show and more.

The album is bookended by farewells. The opening title track began life as an instrumental by Klaus Gesing called “Tanz ohne Antwort” (“Dance Without Answer”). Norma translated its title and outlined a lyrical plot to match the music’s bittersweet moods, drawing out a tale of incomplete goodbyes. Fred Neil’s “Everybody’s Talkin’” has the last word, its protagonist in search of some companionable silence, beyond the reach of the world’s babble. A folk scene favourite before it became associated with John Schlesinger’s Midnight Cowboy movie, it is a piece that has been in the Winstone’s trio’s live repertoire from the beginning.

For Klaus Gesing’s tune “High Places” Norma added lyrics inspired by the French Canadian film Incendies, directed by Denis Villeneuve. “I’m not so much telling the story of the film, as responding to its atmosphere. A lot of my lyrics are ‘filmic’ in fact. I tend to think visually when I’m casting around for words.“

Return to “Modern Creative, Third Stream (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”