FileCat premium

Frank Macchia - Folk Songs for Jazzers (2009) [Modern Big Band, Swing]; FLAC (image+.cue)

Ragtime, Dixieland, Big Band, New Orleans Jazz, Jump Blues, Neo-Swing
Mike1985
Uploader

Frank Macchia - Folk Songs for Jazzers (2009) [Modern Big Band, Swing]; FLAC (image+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 11 May 2018, 13:29

Artist: Frank Macchia
Album: Folk Songs for Jazzers
Genre: Modern Big Band, Swing
Label: Cacophony / Framac Music
Released: 2009
Quality: FLAC (image+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. I've Been Working On the Railroad
  2. Red River Valley
  3. Skip To My Lou
  4. Oh, Susanna
  5. Did You Ever See a Lassie?
  6. Polly Wolly Doodle
  7. Tom Dooley
  8. The Arkansas Traveler
  9. Amazing Grace
  10. The Erie Canal
  11. Hush, Little Baby
  12. The Blue Tail Fly
  13. Kumbaya
  14. On Top of Old Smokey

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Entire jazz albums devoted to folk songs are rare, though many of the songs within Frank Macchia's CD have been recorded by jazz bands at one time or another. But Macchia succeeds because the multi-reed player puts his own stamp on these familiar melodies with imaginative charts that keep the listener guessing. A perfect example is the opening track, "I've Been Working on the Railroad," which has stops in swing, Latin, and New Orleans, all with playful solos and tight ensemble work. The cool-toned setting of "Oh! Susanna" sounds straight out of the '50s, with rich writing for reeds and brass. Perhaps the most startling piece is the fusion rendition of "The Arkansas Traveler" utilizing electric keyboards, guitar, and bass in a big, brassy, in-your-face manner. Macchia transforms "Erie Canal" into a funky vehicle for Bill Reichenbach on tuba, while vocalist Tierney Sutton is added for "Red River Valley" with Grant Geissman's jarring electric guitar providing contrast in the background. There's never a dull moment in Frank Macchia's arrangements of these well-known tunes, and there remains a wealth of traditional folk melodies that are ripe for his future experiments.
Review by Ken Dryden

Return to “Early Jazz, Swing, Gypsy (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”