FileCat premium

Dave McKenna - Blues Up - Piano Solo (2007) [Bop, Mainstream Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Ragtime, Dixieland, Big Band, New Orleans Jazz, Jump Blues, Neo-Swing
Mike1985
Uploader

Dave McKenna - Blues Up - Piano Solo (2007) [Bop, Mainstream Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 10 Aug 2018, 15:47

Artist: Dave McKenna
Album: Blues Up - Piano Solo
Genre: Bop, Mainstream Jazz
Label: Fresh Sound Records
Released: 2007
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Why Was I Born? (2:16)
  2. Smoke Gets In Your Eyes (3:17)
  3. Blues Up (2:28)
  4. Walking By The River (3:05)
  5. S'posin' (2:45)
  6. If I Had My Way (3:46)
  7. 'S Wonderful (2:52)
  8. My Shining Hour (3:09)
  9. 'Deed I Do (2:28)
  10. Like Someone In Love (3:49)
  11. Let's Get Away From It All (2:15)
  12. I'm Glad I Waited For You (2:05)
  13. For All We Know (2:45)
  14. Warn Valley (2:47)
  15. Limehouse Blues (2:04)
  16. Sleepy Waltz (2:50)
  17. Dream (3:19)
  18. Lullaby Of The Leaves (2:50)
  19. Lullaby (2:40)
  20. Close Your Eyes (1:50)
  21. Brahms' Lullaby (1:54)
  22. Deep Night (3:07)
  23. Deep In A Dream (3:59)
  24. Lullaby In Blues (2:38)
  25. Japanese Sandman (2:31)
  26. Lullaby In Rhythm (2:42)
  27. Sleep (1:38)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Dave McKenna made a remarkably piano solo debut in 1955 with the fifteen tunes he recorded for ABC Paramount (1-15). The remaining tracks on this compilation also come from a solo album, one he cut almost eight years later for the label Realm. Playing without a rhythm section, a key challenge for a jazz pianist, McKenna accomplished a recital of lasting value and pleasure. He plays with strength, individuality, fine beat and technique, and constant taste in all tempos. He is a wonderfully co-ordinated two-handed pianist.

In case you haven't heard, Dave McKenna is one of the most remarkable jazz pianists in the history of the music, further evidenced by this wonderful solo recording, taken from the original 1955 ABC-Paramount LP Solo Piano and the 1963 Realm release Lullabies in Jazz. McKenna's expertise in mixing the stride style into any jazz standard cannot be more fully demonstrated. The first 15 tracks are from the 1955 date, where his ability to swing and stretch out would be hard for anyone to match, much less exceed. There's only one original, the jazz-blues-bop jam "Blues Up." McKenna waxes serene on three selections, is atypically delicate during "My Shining Hour," and mixes patient to animated tempos for "Limehouse Blues." On the rest, he plays consistent rhythms, especially effective on the bouncy "S'posin'," the dramatic intro before digging in for "'S Wonderful," and the uppity "Let's Get Away from It All." McKenna's consistency in playing deft, accurate melodies and effortless stride is evident with every note and phrase. The remaining tracks are indeed lullabies and are lower key, ranging from the childlike "Brahms' Lullaby" to the darker "Deep Night," the somnambulant "Deep in a Dream," and the cute "Japanese Sandman." The anomalies are the bright, not at all weary original of McKenna's "Sleepy Waltz" and the jaunty back-and-forth finale, "Sleep." While Lullabies is thematic and stylized, it is far from reticent or boring. This is truly a beautiful document of a master at work, and is highly recommended, whether you are a staunch fan of McKenna or hopefully a new convert.

Return to “Early Jazz, Swing, Gypsy (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”