FileCat premium

Coral Egan - The Year He Drove Me Crazy (2012) [Vocal Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Vocal Jazz
Mike1985
Uploader

Coral Egan - The Year He Drove Me Crazy (2012) [Vocal Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 27 Oct 2018, 14:37

Artist: Coral Egan
Album: The Year He Drove Me Crazy
Genre: Vocal Jazz
Label: Justin Time
Released: 2012
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. The Year He Drove Me Crazy (4:12)
  2. Soul Sunday (4:38)
  3. A Couple Apartments Apart (3:56)
  4. What You Doing (4:28)
  5. Crossfire (4:12)
  6. Unwind (3:56)
  7. Wonderlove (3:33)
  8. Razor Love (5:36)
  9. I Do (4:27)
  10. Storyline (3:50)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Coral Egan - vocals
  • Robbie Kuster - drums, percussion, glass marimba, background vocals
  • Mishka Stein - bass, background vocals
  • Jon Day - piano, keyboards, B3 organ, background vocals
  • Warren Spicer - guitars, background vocals
  • Jason Levine - beatbox
  • Vahe Yegoyan - background vocals

Coral Egan’s return to the studio after five years has yielded an album so personal that it names.

The singer, assisted by songwriter-producer Albert Chambers, has crafted a 10-song set that flirts with cinéma-vérité in its examination of her private life with daughter Lola and partner Vahé Yegoyan. Both are namechecked — along with the family dog — in the sunny, effervescent urban soul track Soul Sunday, which celebrates weekend domestic bliss.

And the directness doesn’t quite end there: Yegoyan shares the cover and some of the album art with Egan, which might make the story a little too specific and literal for some listeners.

But if head-over-heels romance is not what you’re up for, the story has its darker corners: the irritation with a commitment-phobic mate in the gentle rocker What You Doin’, the anxiety of the child caught in a parental power play in the stately Crossfire and the soul-baring neediness of I Do will resonate with any listener whose relationship is going through a rough patch.

Musically, the album once again draws from the golden-era singer-songwriters and the blue-eyed soul that have often inspired Egan to pay stylistic tribute. There’s a generous helping of Steely Dan here, a bit of Laura Nyro there and a dash of Joni Mitchell elsewhere. There’s even some Neil Young — quite literally — in the album’s sole cover version, Razor Love. All of it comes in a spare, sophisticated setting, driven by a piano-trio core.

Patrick Watson members Robbie Kuster and Mishka Stein make up the highly empathetic rhythm section, with Warren Spicer of Plants and Animals making a guest appearance. Surprisingly, the piano work is entirely handled by Jon Day, leaving Egan to focus entirely on singing.

The chemistry of this studio gathering works, yielding a bright, airy performance that would fit with Saturday night after the party or family breakfast the next day.
Review by Bernard Perusse

Return to “Vocal Jazz (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”