FileCat premium

Donald Lambert - Recorded 1959-1961 (2003) [Stride, Piano Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Ragtime, Dixieland, Big Band, New Orleans Jazz, Jump Blues, Neo-Swing
Mike1985
Uploader

Donald Lambert - Recorded 1959-1961 (2003) [Stride, Piano Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 21 Nov 2018, 14:13

Artist: Donald Lambert
Album: Recorded 1959-1961
Genre: Stride, Piano Jazz
Label: Storyville
Released: 2003
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Harlem Strut
  2. Beautiful Love - Sweet Lorraine
  3. People Will Say We're in Love
  4. Hold Your Temper
  5. Moonlight Sonata
  6. Save Your Sorrow
  7. I Know That You Know
  8. As Time Goes By
  9. Sextet from Lucia di Lammermoor
  10. Hallelujah
  11. The Trolley Song
  12. Daintiness Rag
  13. When Your Love Has Gone
  14. Keep Off the Grass
  15. Carolina Shout
  16. I'm Just Wild About Harry
  17. You Can't Do What My Last Man Did
  18. If Dreams Come True
  19. How Can You Face Me
  20. Russian Lullaby

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Although it does not say it anywhere in the reprinted liner notes by the late Dick Wellstood or the outside of the CD, all of the music on Recorded 1959-1961 was previously released by the now-defunct Pumpkin label. The 14 selections from Pumpkin's LP Classics in Stride are here plus ten of the 15 from Harlem Stride Classics. Donald Lambert was one of the all-time great stride pianists, but living in New Jersey and reluctant to visit New York, he only made one record date, just four titles in 1940. Fortunately some of his live performances from the 1959-1961 period were recorded by fans, including the music on the two Pumpkin LPs and a collection put out by IAJRC. The piano may not be flawless and the recording is not of studio quality (though it has been greatly improved in this reissue), but Lambert's musical mastery definitely comes through well. One is grateful for the existence of his fans, who were wise enough to document the pianist. Lambert swings some classical pieces (including "Anitra's Dance" and Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata"), digs into swing standards, and revives numbers by James P. Johnson, Willie "The Lion" Smith, and Fats Waller, stomping away. Waller and to a lesser extent Art Tatum are influences, but Lambert mostly plays in his own dazzling fashion. It seems criminal that he was not extensively recorded, but at least there are these priceless performances and a few others to remind jazz listeners what a great talent there once was in Lambert.
Review by Scott Yanow

Return to “Early Jazz, Swing, Gypsy (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”