FileCat premium

Lee Dorsey - Yes We Can (1970/2007) [Funk, Soul]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Funk, Soul, R&B
Mike1985
Uploader

Lee Dorsey - Yes We Can (1970/2007) [Funk, Soul]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 18 Mar 2016, 17:49

Artist: Lee Dorsey
Album: Yes We Can
Genre: Funk, Soul
Label: Polydor
Released: 1970/2007
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Yes We Can - Part I
  2. Riverboat
  3. Tears, Tears And More Tears
  4. O Me-O, My-O
  5. Sneakin' Sally Thru The Alley
  6. Yes We Can - Part II
  7. Who's Gonna' Help Brother Get Further
  8. Games People Play
  9. When The Bill's Paid
  10. Occapella
  11. Gator Tail
  12. Would You?
  13. If I Were A Carpenter
  14. A Place Where We Can Be Free
  15. As Quiet As It's Kept
  16. Lonely Avenue
  17. Hello Good Looking
  18. If She Won't (Find Someone Who Will)
  19. Freedom For The Stallion
  20. When Can I Come Home
  21. On Your Way Down

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

For all but the most dedicated record collector, Lee Dorsey's terrific singles for Amy -- including the hits "Workin' in a Coalmine" and "Ride Your Pony" -- are all anybody knows about Lee Dorsey's collaboration with Allen Toussaint. Those were the recordings that were the hits, those were the recordings that were played on oldies radio, and those were the recordings that were reissued on CD, while the two albums Dorsey and Toussaint made in the '70s seemed lost, never reissued and rarely mentioned in either's discography or biography. That's not to say that the first of their '70s efforts, 1970's Yes We Can, didn't have an impact. Several of the cuts were covered by major artists throughout the decade -- the Pointer Sisters had a hit with the title track, Robert Palmer covered "Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley" for the title track of his 1974 debut, Ringo Starr cut "Occapella," and the Meters' loose-limbed, eclectic groove set the pace for a lot of rock and funk for the '70s (most notably Little Feat, who did a faithful cover of Dorsey's 1971 non-LP single "On Your Way Down"). So while it was possible to hear the reverberations of this album, it was impossible to easily hear this music until it finally saw the light of day on Raven's 2005 two-fer Yes We Can/Night People (which also included "On Your Way Down" and another non-LP single, "When Can I Come Home?," as bonus tracks).

Musically, Yes We Can is closer to Toussaint's solo LPs for Warner -- collected on Rhino Handmade's excellent 2003 two-disc set The Complete Warner Recordings -- than Dorsey's '60s sides, but it's the best overall album Dorsey ever made and one of the greatest soul albums of the '70s. Here, Dorsey, Toussaint, and the estimable supporting band of the Meters are at an absolute peak. Song for song, this is Toussaint's strongest writing and it's given lively, imaginative interpretations from the Meters. Hardly just a routine collection of New Orleans funk, Yes We Can dips into rampaging Stax-Volt soul on "When the Bill's Paid," diamond-hard funk on "Gator Tail," stylish updates of Dorsey's Amy sound on "O Me-O, My-O" and "Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley," smoky nighttime grooves on "Riverboat," and utterly modern protest soul on "Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further?" while ending on the hilarious standup comedy riff of "Would You?" Not only is there a great variety of styles, sounds, and moods here, but Dorsey, Toussaint, and the Meters all make it sound easy, when it really was the most sophisticated funk and soul of its time. Maybe that sly sophistication is why the album sank commercially in 1970, maybe it's because the music was at once too earthy and elegant to compete with the sound of either Hi or Philadelphia International, maybe it just didn't get the right promotion, but the years have been nothing but kind to Yes We Can, which stands as one of the great soul albums.

Return to “Funk, Soul, R&B (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”