FileCat premium

Leo's Sunshipp - We Need Each Other (1978/1996) [Soul]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Funk, Soul, R&B
Mike1985
Uploader

Leo's Sunshipp - We Need Each Other (1978/1996) [Soul]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 24 Feb 2019, 12:12

Artist: Leo's Sunshipp
Album: We Need Each Other
Genre: Soul
Label: Expansion
Released: 1978/1996
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Give Me the Sunshine (Vocal) (6:23)
  2. I'm Back for More (Vocal) (5:05)
  3. Get Down People (Vocal) (4:09)
  4. Madame Butterfly (Mini-Tro) (4:43)
  5. Madame Butterfly (Vocal) (4:42)
  6. I'm Back for More (Mini-Tro) (5:12)
  7. Give Me the Sunshine (Mini-Tro) (6:19)
  8. Get Down People (Mini-Tro) (4:22)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

‘Give Me The Sunshine’ by Leo’s Sunshipp is an all time soul classic, while the album brought to you here as part of our new series has been one of the most sought after over the years.

Leo’s Sunshipp were Kenny Stover, Johnny Simone and Alvin Few who worked together on this one project during 1977. They were all born under the star sign of Leo.

Kenny was born in Cleveland, Ohio, but relocated to Los Angeles in the mid-70s to work as a staff writer for Jobete Music, the publishing arm of Motown Records. During his spell at the company he collaborated on songs for Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross before meeting Johnny Simone, a singer from Atlanta, Georgia who moved to Los Angeles to tour with Stevie Wonder.

When the two met, Kenny was writing for Marvin Gaye, while Johnny had begun singing backgrounds with Marvin on the road. Kenny and his brother Elgie Stover, in fact, were living with Marvin in the house where the concept of the ‘What’s Going On’ album was created. As the project developed, Elgie co-wrote ‘God Is Love’ for that album, while Kenny co-wrote ‘Inner City Blues’ – though was only later rewarded by Marvin as his name did not appear on the credits.

Soon Kenny and Johnny were working on some songs which they played to Johnny’s friend Alvin Few, a concert promoter back in Atlanta.

Alvin raised the funds to record the album with a plan to sell it to a major label when it was finished. Tragically, four songs into the project Johnny died of cancer, so the idea of being signed to a major did not become possible.

Rather than waste the album, alternative mixes were done on the four existing tracks, and the project was released on their own label ‘Lyon’s Record Co’ in 1978.

As the import album picked up momentum in the UK, a 12′ single was released on Richard Searling and John Anderson’s first label Grapevine in 1980. The track chosen for the B-side was Kenny Stover’s most prolific composition ‘I’m Back For More’ which was a Stateside hit (and UK soul classic) for Al Johnson featuring Jean Carn, as well as being an essential version in the original featured here.

In 1986 the same 12′ was re-released by Expansion Records, but it’s only now that the label have been able to bring you the complete album on CD for the very first time.

Return to “Funk, Soul, R&B (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”