FileCat premium

Muggsy Spanier - 1944-1946 (1997) [Dixieland, Swing]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Ragtime, Dixieland, Big Band, New Orleans Jazz, Jump Blues, Neo-Swing
Mike1985
Uploader

Muggsy Spanier - 1944-1946 (1997) [Dixieland, Swing]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 25 Aug 2019, 13:15

Artist: Muggsy Spanier
Album: 1944-1946
Genre: Dixieland, Swing
Label: Classics
Released: 1997
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Sobbin' Blues (Berton, Kassel ) - 2:53
  2. Darktown Strutters' Ball (Brooks ) - 3:01
  3. The Lady's in Love with You (Lane, Loesser ) - 3:00
  4. Whistlin' the Blues (Haggart, Spanier ) - 3:06
  5. Tin Roof Blues (Brunis, Mares, Melrose ... ) - 2:54
  6. Muskrat Ramble (Gilbert, Ory ) - 3:04
  7. Bugle Call Rag (Meyers, Pettis, Schoebel ) - 2:55
  8. That's A-Plenty (Gilbert, Pollack ) - 2:51
  9. Feather Brain Blues (Spanier ) - 3:01
  10. Lucky to Me (Bernstein, Camden, Green ) - 2:53
  11. Tin Roof Blues (Brunis, Mares, Melrose ... ) - 2:56
  12. Cherry (Redman, Russell ) - 2:41
  13. China Boy (Boutelje, Winfree ) - 5:09
  14. Royal Garden Blues (Williams, Williams ) - 3:30
  15. You Took Advantage of Me (Hart, Rodgers ) - 3:15
  16. Pee Wee Squawks (Russell, Spanier ) - 2:31
  17. Sentimental Journey (Brown, Green, Homer ) - 2:46
  18. Muggsy Special (Haggart, Spanier ) - 2:29
  19. You're Driving Me Crazy (Donaldson ) - 2:30
  20. Am I Blue? (Akst, Clarke ) - 2:10
  21. How Come You Do Me Like You Do? (Austin, Bergere ) - 3:01

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

If you're looking for a straight, unfiltered shot of full-strength Chicago-style traditional jazz, this disc pulls no punches. Three of the four opening tracks are incendiary Commodore blowouts. Bob Haggart whistles during the opening and closing choruses of his own "Whistlin' the Blues," which comes as a bit of a breather after all that stomping. The next six selections were released on the Manhattan record label, available to the public as souvenirs to be purchased at Nick's Tavern, a hot spot for old-fashioned jazz in Greenwich Village. Four of these tracks feature the exciting baritone saxophone of Ernie Caceres, who exchanges a few words with Muggsy Spanier at the beginning of yet another whistling tune, "Feather Brain Blues." As Haggart whistles in the background, Caceres, speaking in a husky theatrical voice similar to that used by Harry "The Hipster" Gibson, exclaims that he hears a mockingbird. Spanier insists that the creature in question is "a feather brain bird," and vows to "blow him right away" with his trusty cornet. This results in a grand, easygoing blues with a big juicy finale, during which whistler and bassist Haggart gets the last word. The V-Disc session is solid and satisfying, right from the first few bars of a smooth walking treatment of the old "Tin Roof Blues." Creamy tenor saxophonist Bud Freeman is the star of this ensemble, as he transforms good music into something truly wonderful. Loudmouth comedian Phil Harris introduces a five-minute jam on "China Boy," counting it off in a tempo that is far slower than the one used by the band. This was a noticeable feature of V-Discs -- the spoken introductions were almost invariably recorded separate from the songs themselves, and usually sounded that way. Identifying his music as "Dixieland," Muggsy speaks at the beginning of "You Took Advantage of Me," a feature for Freeman, who had made a wonderful recording of this Rodgers & Hart dance tune for the Commodore label back in 1938. This 1945 "update" version is guaranteed to please all fans of Bud Freeman. This fine CD closes with six delightful sides originally released on the innocuous Disc record label. On "Pee Wee Squawks," Pee Wee Russell, who is heard on every session except the V-Discs, sings about how he needs a break: "My horn ain't in tune and my chops are hangin' low." The producers of the Classics Chronological Series are to be commended for periodically dredging up recorded examples of Pee Wee Russell singing in his own weirdly stilted, slightly sloshed manner.
Review by arwulf arwulf

Return to “Early Jazz, Swing, Gypsy (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”