FileCat premium

Helen Merrill - Brownie: Homage to Clifford Brown (1994) [Cool, Vocal Jazz]; FLAC (image+.cue)

Vocal Jazz
Mike1985
Uploader

Helen Merrill - Brownie: Homage to Clifford Brown (1994) [Cool, Vocal Jazz]; FLAC (image+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 11 Sep 2019, 13:50

Artist: Helen Merrill
Album: Brownie: Homage to Clifford Brown
Genre: Cool, Vocal Jazz
Label: Universal
Released: 1994
Quality: FLAC (image+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Your Eyes
  2. Daahoud
  3. Born to Be Blue
  4. I Remember Clifford
  5. Joy Spring
  6. I'll Remember April
  7. Don't Explain
  8. Brownie
  9. You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To
  10. I'll Be Seeing You
  11. Memories of You
  12. Gone with the Wind
  13. Largo

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Helen Merrill - vocals
  • Lew Soloff - trumpet
  • Roy Hargrove - trumpet, flugelhorn
  • Tom Harrell - trumpet, flugelhorn
  • Wallace Roney - trumpet
  • Kenny Barron - piano
  • Rufus Reid - bass
  • Victor Lewis - drums

40 years after recording a classic album with trumpeter Clifford Brown, singer Helen Merrill paid tribute to the late Brownie, who died tragically in 1956. Utilizing on various tracks trumpeters Tom Harrell, Wallace Roney, Roy Hargrove and Lew Soloff, as well as pianist Kenny Barron, bassist Rufus Reid and drummer Victor Lewis, Merrill performs a variety of tunes, most of which were associated with Brown. There are plenty of unexpected surprises on the date, including passages where the trumpet ensemble performs parts of Brownie's original solos; also noteworthy are Harrell's unaccompanied flugelhorn version of "Joy Spring," Barron's solo piano rendition of "Memories of You" and touching moments like "I'll Be Seeing You," "I Remember Clifford" and "Gone With the Wind." Producer Torrie Zito sometimes adds some atmospheric and effective synthesizer, and in addition to the standards, Zito contributed a new original, "Brownie." Throughout the often emotional date, Helen Merrill is heard in top form, giving plenty of feeling to the lyrics while leaving room for the guest trumpeters. Recommended.
Review by Scott Yanow

Return to “Vocal Jazz (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”