FileCat premium

Dorothy Ashby - Dorothy's Harp (1969/2014) [Cool, Hard Bop, Soul Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

West Coast Jazz, Soul-Jazz, Standards
Mike1985
Uploader

Dorothy Ashby - Dorothy's Harp (1969/2014) [Cool, Hard Bop, Soul Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 20 Nov 2019, 13:33

Artist: Dorothy Ashby
Album: Dorothy's Harp
Genre: Cool, Hard Bop, Soul Jazz
Label: Cadet/Universal Classics & Jazz
Released: 1969/2014
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. By the Time I Get to Phoenix (Webb) - 3:32
  2. Canto de Ossanha (Powell-DeMoraes) - 3:37
  3. Love Is Blue (Blackburn-Popp) - 2:53
  4. Reza (Lobo-Guerra) - 3:02
  5. This Girl's in Love with You (Bacharach-David) - 2:50
  6. Truth Spoken Here (Evans) - 2:52
  7. Toronado (Evans) - 3:07
  8. The Windmills of Your Mind (Bergman-Bergman-Legrand) - 3:23
  9. Cause I Need It (Ashby) - 3:02
  10. Just Had to Tell Somebody (Ashby) - 3:09
  11. Fool on the Hill (Lennon-McCartney) - 3:41

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Dorothy Ashby - harp
  • Odell Brown - Fender piano
  • Lennie Druss - oboe solo (#9), flute solo (#11)

One of the grooviest Dorothy Ashby albums of the 60s – a set that has her already-great jazz work on harp backed by Chicago soul arrangements from Richard Evans – all in a blend that's somewhere in the territory of the Soulful Strings, but even groovier! And as an added bonus, Odell Brown even plays a bit of Fender Rhodes on the record – which sounds especially great! Both Ashby and Evans are at the height of their powers here – mixing together bits of jazz, soul, and trippier elements in a sublime late 60s Cadet Records blend – one that's carried off perfectly on the original tunes "Truth Spoken Here", "Tornado", "Cause I Need It", and "Just Had To Tell Somebody" – but which also sounds great on some of the album's cool covers too! Other titles include Brazilian numbers "Reza" and "Canto De Ossanha" – both of which are transformed in Dorothy's hands – plus "This Girl's In Love", "By the Time I Get to Phoenix", and "Windmills of Your Mind"!

Return to “Mainstream Jazz, Cool (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”