FileCat premium

Bix Beiderbecke - The Chronological Classics: 1924-1927 (1994) [Early Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Ragtime, Dixieland, Big Band, New Orleans Jazz, Jump Blues, Neo-Swing
Mike1985
Uploader

Bix Beiderbecke - The Chronological Classics: 1924-1927 (1994) [Early Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 04 Dec 2019, 12:26

Artist: Bix Beiderbecke
Album: The Chronological Classics: 1924-1927
Genre: Early Jazz
Label: Classics
Released: 1994
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Fidgety Feet (2:24)
  2. Jazz Me Blues (2:46)
  3. Oh Baby (2:19)
  4. Copenhagen (2:30)
  5. Riverboat Shuffle (2:32)
  6. Susie (2:35)
  7. I Need Some Pettin' (2:51)
  8. Royal Garden Blues (2:52)
  9. Tiger Rag (2:38)
  10. Sensation (2:39)
  11. Lazy Daddy (2:45)
  12. Tia Juana (2:55)
  13. Big Boy (2:49)
  14. Flock O' Blues (2:39)
  15. I'm Glad (3:06)
  16. Toddlin' Blues (2:44)
  17. Davenport Blues (2:44)
  18. In a Mist (Bixology) (2:48)
  19. There Ain't No Land Like Dixieland (3:06)
  20. There's a Cradle in Caroline (2:59)
  21. I'm More Than Satisfied (3:15)
  22. Clorinda (3:07)
  23. Three Blind Mice (2:55)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Bix Beiderbecke's earliest recordings open this first volume of his complete works as presented by the Classics chronological reissue label. While some other compilations actually skip the marvelous Gennett recordings that 21-year-old Beiderbecke made with the Wolverine Orchestra between February 18 and October 7, 1924, this wonderful edition presents these precious artifacts as a prelude to his first recordings as a leader. The Wolverine Orchestra stood for primal Chicago-styled New Orleans polyphony. One may turn to these old records again and again for solace, comfort and inspiration. "Jazz Me Blues," lovingly described by historian Ralph Berton as "an X-rated title," is a fundamental cornerstone of traditional jazz. "Royal Garden Blues" is a miracle of collective cooperation, and "Lazy Daddy" is prized for trombonist George Brunies' throaty kazoo solo. Beiderbecke's last Gennett recordings were made in October 1924 with a band, billed as the Sioux City Six, that included trombonist Miff Mole and C Melody saxophonist Frankie Trumbauer; then in January 1925 as Beiderbecke led his own Rhythm Jugglers with slip-horn sheik Tommy Dorsey close by. Some folks would pinpoint this little group's rendering of Beiderbecke's "Davenport Blues" as a high point of his career and maybe even of 20th century human endeavor. On September 9, 1927 Bix Beiderbecke recorded for the Okeh label a Debussy-inspired set of harmonic variations for solo piano titled "In a Mist" (later issued as "Bixology"). During September and October 1927 Beiderbecke sat in with a band identified on the Harmony record label as the Broadway Bell-Hops, and assisted the Chicago Loopers in the creation of two sides issued by Pathe Actuelle. A collective personnel inventory for these two groups is exciting for those who know their early jazz history. Highlights include violinist Joe Venuti, tuba titan Joe Tarto, guitarist Carl Kress, pianists Arthur Schutt and Frank Signorelli, as well as creative percussionist Vic Berton. Some jazz purists might get rankled hearing vaudevillian vocals by Irving Kaufman or the loopy Deep River Quartet, but these historical performances are well worth experiencing, particularly the Quartet's charming rendition of Fats Waller's catchy "I'm More Than Satisfied." Beiderbecke's best collaborations with Frankie Trumbauer appear in the Classics Trumbauer chronology because they were originally issued under Trumbauer's name. Most of the rest of the Beiderbecke story is documented under his name on four Classics compilations, beginning with this excellent first installment.
Review by arwulf arwulf

Return to “Early Jazz, Swing, Gypsy (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”