FileCat premium

The George Shearing Quintet & Dakota Staton - In the Night (2003) [Vocal Jazz, Cool]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Vocal Jazz
Mike1985
Uploader

The George Shearing Quintet & Dakota Staton - In the Night (2003) [Vocal Jazz, Cool]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 08 May 2020, 10:02

Artist: The George Shearing Quintet & Dakota Staton
Album: In the Night
Genre: Vocal Jazz, Cool
Label: Capitol Jazz
Released: 2003
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. From Rags to Richards (Shearing) - 3:15
  2. (I'm Left with The) Blues in My Heart (Carter-Mills) - 2:59
  3. Pawn Ticket (Bryant) - 2:22
  4. In the Night (Mapp) - 2:03
  5. Easy (Shearing) - 2:43
  6. I Hear Music (Lane-Loesser) - 2:33
  7. Senor Blues (Silver) - 3:49
  8. Confessin' the Blues (Brown-McShann) - 2:46
  9. Later (Bryant) - 2:20
  10. The Thrill Is Gone (Brown-Henderson) - 3:10
  11. The Late, Late Show (Berlin) - 2:34
  12. I'd Love to Make Love to You (Emmerich-Poll) - 2:45

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Dakota Staton - vocals (#2,4,6,8,10,12)
  • George Shearing - piano
  • Emil Richards - vibes
  • Toots Thielemans - guitar
  • Al McKibbon - bass
  • Percy Brice - drums

With its progressive-leaning jazz and modernist blues vocals, In the Night was the prototype for the piano-vocals collaboration record that George Shearing would remake with Peggy Lee, Nat King Cole, and Nancy Wilson while at Capitol (and many others afterwards). In July 1957, just after Dakota Staton's immense success with "The Late, Late Show," Capitol recorded two of its biggest jazz stars together for what would turn out to be one of the finest teamings in either's career. Staton appears on every other song, lending her blend of post-bop vocal prowess and late-night melodrama to a set of well-chosen songs including "In the Night" and "I Hear Music." (Ironically, the version of "The Late, Late Show" heard here is an instrumental.) Shearing and Staton are joined by the pianist's group at the time, including Emil Richards on vibes, the splendid Toots Thielemans on guitar, and a few features for Latin percussionist Armando Peraza. The group's finest features are the opener, "From Rags to Richards," a fine Shearing original with excellent solos from Richards and Shearing, and Ray Bryant's "Pawn Ticket," with fine work from Thielemans and Richards.
Review by John Bush

Return to “Vocal Jazz (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”