FileCat premium

Kandace Springs - The Women Who Raised Me (2020) [Vocal Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Vocal Jazz
Mike1985
Uploader

Kandace Springs - The Women Who Raised Me (2020) [Vocal Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 26 Jun 2020, 16:51

Artist: Kandace Springs
Album: The Women Who Raised Me
Genre: Vocal Jazz
Label: Blue Note/SRP Records
Released: 2020
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Devil May Care (feat. Christian McBride) (3:01)
  2. Angel Eyes (feat. Norah Jones) (6:02)
  3. I Put a Spell on You (feat. David Sanborn) (3:59)
  4. Pearls (feat. Avishai Cohen) (4:45)
  5. Ex-Factor (feat. Elena Pinderhughes) (5:32)
  6. I Can't Make You Love Me (feat. Avishai Cohen) (4:36)
  7. Gentle Rain (feat. Chris Potter) (3:57)
  8. Solitude (feat. Chris Potter) (5:01)
  9. The Nearness of You (3:37)
  10. What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life (4:00)
  11. Killing Me Softly with His Song (feat. Elena Pinderhughes) (5:20)
  12. Strange Fruit (3:36)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Kandace Springs - vocals
  • Steve Cardenas - guitar
  • Scott Colley - acoustic bass
  • Clarence Penn - drums

Kandace Springs attracted Blue Note with a version of "I Can't Make You Love Me," a ballad popularized by Bonnie Raitt, then covered Shelby Lynne on Soul Eyes, and updated "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face," deeply associated with Roberta Flack, on Indigo. Honoring the women who raised her has always been one of Springs' facets -- she has also evoked other inspirations less obviously with vocal nuances -- but the singer and pianist does it in concentrated form with her third Blue Note album. Like Soul Eyes, The Women Who Raised Me was produced by Larry Klein, who tracked it live with bassist Scott Colley, drummer Clarence Penn, and guitarist Steve Cardenas providing economical and softly luminous core support. Springs' poised if consistently fiery voice (over her tasteful keyboard work) pays tribute here to singular voices spanning genres and generations, including Lauryn Hill, Nina Simone, and Mainstream-era Carmen McRae, along with the softer-styled likes of Flack, Astrud Gilberto, and Sade. Knowing Springs' back story, it's a delight to hear an official recording of "I Can't Make You Love Me," enriched with Avishai Cohen's consoling trumpet. Springs' own held notes ooze romantic resignation. A few exceptions aside, the song choices aren't adventurous, though Springs skillfully balances reverence with her individuality, treating even "I Put a Spell on You" and "What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life" like they're no more worn than anything she has written herself. Among the several featured players, bassist Christian McBride, who drives "Devil May Care," and flutist Elena Pinderhughes, heard on two of the songs with the strongest hip-hop connections, add the most. Springs also gets to duet with formative influence Norah Jones on Ella Fitzgerald favorite "Angel Eyes," in which the two exchange leads and back one another like longtime play cousins. On the surface, The Women Who Raised Me might seem like a regression, the kind of project that would have made more sense as an introduction -- especially since Springs co-wrote some of her debut and almost everything on the follow-up. Only one spin makes it clear that Springs is in her element, and an increasingly fascinating interpreter.
Review by Andy Kellman

Return to “Vocal Jazz (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”