FileCat premium

Lynne Jackaman - One Shot (2020) [Blues, R&B]; FLAC (tracks)

Texas, Chicago, Modern and Others
Mike1985
Uploader

Lynne Jackaman - One Shot (2020) [Blues, R&B]; FLAC (tracks)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 22 Aug 2020, 19:49

Artist: Lynne Jackaman
Album: One Shot
Genre: Blues, R&B
Released: 2020
Quality: FLAC (tracks)
Tracklist:
  1. Supernasty (4:15)
  2. Nobody's Fault (But Yours) (3:57)
  3. On Your Own Now (4:02)
  4. I'll Allow You (3:51)
  5. One Shot (5:20)
  6. Red House (4:59)
  7. Beautiful Loss (4:15)
  8. Sooner or Later (3:21)
  9. Nothing but My Records On (6:08)
  10. Copy Cat (4:46)
  11. On My Own Stage (2:59)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Through loss and turmoil emerges a rip roaring album, One Shot by British singer and songwriter, Lynne Jackaman. The album was recorded at FAME Studios, Muscle Shoals, AL and produced by Jamie Evans, mixed/mastered by Wayne Proctor. It is a stunning debut.

If you don’t know the journey of Lynne Jackaman and her album One Shot, let’s just say she’s had no shortage of challenges and losses in the time it took to release this record, challenges that might have driven some into seclusion. Jackaman pressed on to release a top-tier R&B/Soul, rock n’ roll record with songs of heartache and triumph to claim her place in the spotlight. One Shot proves that Jackaman has the mettle not only to persevere but to show her stuff as a helluva singer and songwriter.

Of course she has an all-star cast of musicians to back her up with the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section, including Spooner Oldham on organ (Percy Sledge, Aretha Franklin) Clayton Ivey on keys (Gregg Allman, Boz Scaggs,) Will McFarlane on guitar (Bonnie Raitt, Etta James,) Bob Wray on bass (Ray Charles, BB King, Delbert McClinton) and The Shoals Sisters on backing vocals (everyone from Etta James to Alicia Keys.)

The result is not just superb musicianship, but a fresh, contemporary sound with serious emphasis on groove. There’s gusto and redemption on One Shot, something Jackaman seemed determined to do—channel anguish into bold, swinging tunes. That’s not easy to pull off.

As former frontwoman for rock band Saint Jude, headlining London’s Scala, playing Royal Albert Hall, and attracting fans like Jimmy Page, and Ronnie Wood who guested on stage, Jackaman left the group following the death of guitarist Adam Green. It was then she decided to create what she describes as a Soul album rather than trying to force herself to sound like her old band. Producer, Evans led her to Muscle Shoals.

One Shot might be loosely described as a Soul album, but it’s anything but retro. Rhythm and blues, rock and roll and funky rhythms weave their way through most songs, brought to life by superb musicians and an electrifying vocalist.

One Shot blasts off with the super-funky “Supernasty,” a lively tune with infectious groove. About a failing relationship that still has a grip, Jackaman kicks a**, adding heavy doses of sparkle and grit. What a voice. The superb horn section punches up this track, adding a layer of magic to the melody.

Another standout, a thrilling rock and roll number, “I’ll Allow You” packs a wallop with guitar, horns, and backing singers. Jackaman is at her best on songs like this—her voice, not unlike a modern Chaka Khan, powers this tune with emotion and a feisty spirit. She’s in it. Maybe to win it. She succeeds.

Title track “One Shot” opens with a bass player who knows how to lock it down with the drummer and prime you for the groove. Trumpet floats in, a call to arms of sorts. Jackaman takes the stage, her voice reeling with heartbreak, and sings, “We trapped ourselves, we can’t get out, We tried to talk, but only shout…You got one shot, better make it good.” Vivid imagery in her lyrics snap you into the place she’s in, authentic, moving and deep.

Says Jackaman, “I wanted to write in a way that still hits hard emotionally, but with an upside too. I didn’t want to just moan but say instead, ‘Yeah, that’s shit but you can still get out of it.”

A jazzy, rhythmic tune, “Sooner or Later” is a standout. Blessed with expert piano and horns, it’s one of those songs that fires on all cylinders—musicianship, vocals, production and rhythm. From the backing singers with their “Oooh la la la,” to the dynamic melody, you can almost hear it as a movie score, it’s that good. Jackaman stretches out vocally and throws down her impressive vocal range and command of the song. And it’s a celebration of love. From out of the ashes, as they say.

More hits continue on One Shot, including “Copycat,” a tune with killer feel, a memorable guitar riff and bass line that set you up to dig in. Beautiful brass enters the picture, and if Jackaman’s voice doesn’t make your hair stand on end, something’s missing. The lyrics are about someone clinging to the past or falsities of the present, and like a magpie, reaches for anything to make what glitters their gold. Jackaman is at her best–spirited and bold with attitude.

It took ten years for Jackaman to bring One Shot to fruition. I’m so glad she did. And you will be too. This album is a contender for one of the top albums of the year.

Return to “Blues (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”