FileCat premium

Joe Williams, Count Basie - Memories Ad-Lib (1958/1984) [Swing]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Ragtime, Dixieland, Big Band, New Orleans Jazz, Jump Blues, Neo-Swing
Mike1985
Uploader

Joe Williams, Count Basie - Memories Ad-Lib (1958/1984) [Swing]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 23 Aug 2020, 08:28

Artist: Joe Williams, Count Basie
Album: Memories Ad-Lib
Genre: Swing
Label: Roulette
Released: 1958/1984
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Ain't Misbehavin' (3:34)
  2. I'll Always Be In Love With You (2:54)
  3. Sweet Sue, Just You (2:26)
  4. If I Could Be With You (3:14)
  5. Dinah (3:22)
  6. Sometimes I'm Happy (2:56)
  7. Baby Won't You Please Come Home (2:29)
  8. Call Me Darling (4:11)
  9. The One I Love Belongs To Somebody Else (3:03)
  10. Memories Of You (3:29)
  11. Honeysuckle Rose (2:39)
  12. All Of Me (2:48)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Joe Williams - vo
  • Count Basie - org
  • Harry 'Sweets' Edison - tp
  • Freddie Green - g
  • George Duvivier - b
  • Jimmie Crawford - d

This unusual session first appeared on LP in 1958, featuring Count Basie exclusively on organ accompanying Joe Williams' vocals over a dozen numbers, mostly standards. Although Basie's recordings on the instrument were sporadic, his style is not at all different from the one he utilized at the piano, filling in the holes and providing just enough backing for his very fine singer. Williams' vocals seem effortless throughout the date, though excessive reverb is frequently added. The unidentified rhythm section is anchored by long-time Basie guitarist Freddie Green, bassist Eddie Jones, and drummer Sonny Payne (who sticks mostly to brushes); what's rather unusual about the date is that Green actually takes several brief solos on his unamplified instrument! A muted trumpet also appears on the lush "If I Could Be With You" (possibly Joe Newman or Snooky Young?), with the frequently omitted verse added. Other highlights include the easygoing swinger "The One I Love (Belongs to Somebody Else)" and a foot-tapping "Honeysuckle Rose." Since this session was not included in the massive (and, unfortunately, no longer available) Mosaic collection of Roulette studio recordings, this long out of print budget CD reissue (which came out in 1984) may be especially difficult to locate, but it will be greatly appreciated by fans of Count Basie and Joe Williams.
review by Ken Dryden

Return to “Early Jazz, Swing, Gypsy (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”