FileCat premium

Johnny Hodges - The Jeep Is Jumpin' (2003) [Big Band / Swing]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Ragtime, Dixieland, Big Band, New Orleans Jazz, Jump Blues, Neo-Swing
Mike1985
Uploader

Johnny Hodges - The Jeep Is Jumpin' (2003) [Big Band / Swing]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 18 Sep 2020, 10:04

Artist: Johnny Hodges
Album: The Jeep Is Jumpin'
Genre: Big Band / Swing
Label: Proper Records
Released: 2003
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
    CD 1 - Hodge Podge:
  1. Foolin' Myself
  2. A Sailboat in the Moonlight
  3. You'll Never Go to Heaven
  4. Peckin'
  5. My Day
  6. Slivery Moon and Golden Sands
  7. Jeep's Blues
  8. If You Were in My Place (What Would You Do?)
  9. I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart
  10. Rendezvous With Rhythm
  11. You Walked Out of the Picture
  12. Pyramid
  13. Empty Ballroom Blues
  14. Lost in Meditation
  15. A Blues Serenade
  16. Love in Swingtime
  17. Swingin' in the Dell
  18. Jitterbug's Lullaby
  19. Prelude to a Kiss
  20. There's Something About an Old Love
  21. The Old Jeep Is Jumpin'
  22. Krum Elbow Blues
  23. I'm in Another World
  24. Hodge Podge
  25. Dancing on the Stars

CD 2 - Day Dream:
  1. Wanderlust
  2. Like a Ship in the Night
  3. Mississippi Dreamboat
  4. Swingin' on the Campus
  5. Dooji Wooji
  6. Savoy Strut
  7. Rent Party Blues
  8. Good Gal Blues
  9. Finesse
  10. Home Town Blues
  11. Dream Blues
  12. Skunk Hollow Blues
  13. I Know What You Do
  14. Your Love Has Faded
  15. Tired Socks
  16. Good Queen Bess
  17. That's the Blues, Old Man
  18. Junior Hop
  19. Squatty Roo
  20. Passion Flower
  21. Things Ain't What They Used to Be
  22. Goin' Out the Back Way
  23. You're Driving Me Crazy
  24. Who Struck John?

CD 3 - A Flower Is A Lovesome Thing:
  1. It Shouldn't Happen to a Dream
  2. June's Jumpin'
  3. Violet Blue
  4. A Flower Is a Lovesome Thing
  5. Frisky
  6. Longhorn Blues
  7. Far Away Blues
  8. Searsy's Blues
  9. A Little Taste
  10. Let the Zoomers Drool
  11. Charlotte Russe (Lotus Blossom)
  12. Jump, That's All
  13. Last Legs Blues, Pt. 1
  14. Last Legs Blues, Pt. 2
  15. Nix It, Mix It
  16. Time on My Hands
  17. Get That Geet
  18. That's Grand
  19. Skip It
  20. Perdido
  21. In the Shade of the Old Apple Tree
  22. Mood Indigo

CD 4 - Castle Rock:
  1. Sweet Lorraine
  2. Bean Bag Boogie
  3. Hop, Skip and Jump
  4. Rabbit's Blues (You Blew Out the Flame in My Heart)
  5. Something to Pat Your Foot To
  6. Blue Fantasia
  7. My Reward
  8. Good Queen Bess
  9. Jeep's Blues
  10. Solitude
  11. The Jeep Is Jumpin'
  12. Castle Rock
  13. Sophisticated Lady
  14. Globe Trotter
  15. A Gentle Breeze
  16. Sideways
  17. A Pound of Blues
  18. Wham
  19. Who Excited?
  20. Sweeping the Blues Away
  21. Day Dream
  22. Standing Room Only
  23. Below the Azores

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

With or without Duke Ellington, Johnny Hodges was always an elemental Ellingtonian, for Hodges' tone and technique were essential components of the Ellington sound and style. Released in 2003 as Proper Box 58, The Jeep Is Jumpin' samples the saxophonist's studio output during the years 1937-1956. After a tour of Hodges' first sessions as a leader and a well-rounded sampling of his best recordings from the '40s, Proper samples his Parisian Vogue sessions of 1950, and closes the set with 20 neatly executed studies in early modern mainstream jazz overseen by producer Norman Granz. 14 of the 95 tracks feature vocalists from the late '30s, and most of these occur on the first disc.

While the period pop tunes sung by Buddy Clark, Mary McHugh, Leon La Fell, and Jean Eldridge constitute valuable evidence of the saxophonist's skill as an accompanist, this collection's instrumental tracks really illuminate his unparalleled genius as composer, interpreter, balladeer and improviser. Beginning with "Wanderlust" (December 1938), Hodges' personality begins to manifest ever more profoundly, and the plot thickens during the 1939 stratum at the beginning of Disc Two, with the arrival of Billy Strayhorn and bassist Jimmy Blanton. "Finesse (Night Wind)" and "You're Driving Me Crazy" are fairly uncommon instances of Hodges accompanied only by bass and piano. "Good Queen Bess" and "That's the Blues, Old Man" are distillations of his personality and temperament, while "Passion Flower" and "A Flower Is a Lovesome Thing" epitomize the kind of lushly sensuous music that Strayhorn wrote with him in mind. In 1947, Hodges cut a series of excellent records for the Sunrise and Mercer labels, including his masterpiece "A Little Taste" and "Let the Zoomers Drool," a zoomer being postwar slang for a mooch.

There are 14 examples on this collection of music recorded in Paris during the spring and early summer of 1950 by Hodges and a group of Ellingtonians, with tenor saxophonist Don Byas sitting in on "Jump That's All," "Last Leg Blues," "Nix It Mix It," and "Time on My Hands." The other tenor who pops up throughout the second half of the set is Al Sears, who is featured on "Searsy's Blues" and the punchy "Castle Rock." The last 20 tracks in this collection were cut in New York during 1951-1956 under the supervision of Norman Granz, and in many cases feature the trumpet of Emmett Berry. Here Hodges had a chance to stretch out and do his own thing at some distance from Ellington's immediate orbit. The combination of late-‘30s material, strong choices from the '40s, highlights from Hodges' visit to Paris in 1950, and the cream of his early Norman Granz sessions places this set among the best of the Johnny Hodges collections, and well among the strongest entries in the Proper catalog.
Review by arwulf arwulf

Return to “Early Jazz, Swing, Gypsy (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”