FileCat premium

Invitation - The King's Waltz (2006) [Free Jazz, Chamber Jazz]; FLAC (image+.cue)

Free-Funk, Experimental Jazz
Mike1985
Uploader

Invitation - The King's Waltz (2006) [Free Jazz, Chamber Jazz]; FLAC (image+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 15 Nov 2020, 06:45

Artist: Invitation
Album: The King's Waltz
Genre: Free Jazz, Chamber Jazz
Label: Konnex
Released: 2006
Quality: FLAC (image+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Carter Lane
  2. The Path Of The Hornets' Nest
  3. Then They Danced
  4. Flambeau
  5. The Ill-Fated Tourist
  6. Hoff N'Poff
  7. That Fateful Day
  8. 26th St. Shuffle
  9. Lone Trailers
  10. Vagabonds
  11. Mr. Chi And The Golden Tone
  12. The King's Waltz

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Daniel Carter - trumpet, tenor and alto saxophone, flute, clarinet
  • Ty Cumbie - electric and acoustic guitars
  • Tara Flandreau - viola
  • Christopher Hoffman - cello
  • Adam Lane - acoustic bass

In the summer of 2004, producer Nick Holmes invited me to put together a string group in support of multi-reed/brass player Daniel Carter and record at his studio in Chelsea, New York. This recording is a result of the ensuing session. I had just recently gotten to know the wonderful West Coast violist, Tara Flandreau, and impulsively called her to join the session. Chris Hoffman had also recently come to my attention as a terrific, and unjustly underappreciated improvising cellist. I had already a good deal of playing with Adam Lane, and had, since the first hearing of his technique, been convinced of his excellence in all facets of musicianship. The group had not, of course, played together previously, and some members weren't even acquainted. There was no rehearsal, and there was minimal conversation in the studio. Mostly we just played. Daniel was rather subdued in the context of strings without drums, but the microphone caught the superb nuances of his playing that one misses in his usual settings, often with highly active drumming and other horns joining. This context, though facilitated by me, was conceived by Nick, and the recording bears his stamp in numerous other ways. The title I chose for the airy closing track, which also serves as title for the recording, pays tribute to him with tongue firmly in cheek. The group title makes reference to his generous invitation, something no other producer in New York could conceivably have had the vision and courage to undertake. - Ty Cumbie "Featuring Daniel Carter on trumpet, saxes, flute & clarinet, Ty Cumbie on electric & acoustic guitars, Tara Flandreau on viola, Christopher Hoffman on cello and Adam Lane on bass. No doubt you know the ubiquitous Daniel Carter from way too many sessions to name here. Local contrabass wiz, Adam Lane, also seems to pop up all over the place as well, often working with John Tchicai, Vinny Golia & Burton Greene. I recall Tara Flandreau from a disc she did with Reuben Radding not too long ago. Ty Cumbie, I know from a series of gigs he has run called Free Zone. Ty dropped these discs off about a month ago and I haven't had time to review it, but I have been listening and have been quietly blown away by this. Daniel Carter is one of the busiest multi-horn men to have emerged from the downtown network for the past few decades. He plays with just about everyone in many different genres, he just loves to play. This CD shows a more touching, restrained side to his playing. Right from the opening duo of Daniel on tenor and Adam on double bass, there is a most sublime, subdued and elegant vibe happening. On "Path to the Hornet's Nest", Daniel plays ghost-like muted trumpet as the strings slowly weave there way around him with the utmost care. There is a strong cushion of buzzing strings on "Flambeau" that is just too much, too deep and reminds me of the crazed strings that surround Albert Ayler on some his best records. These pieces often float by in slow motion eerie strings, minimal electric guitar and the occasional horn all moving in waves around one another. Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream together as The King's Waltz dances softly on your grave.

Return to “Avant-Garde Jazz, Free Improvisation (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”