FileCat premium

Dave Douglas - Overcome (2020) [Modern Creative]; FLAC (tracks)

Chamber Jazz, Improvised Music, Avant-Garde Crossover
Mike1985
Uploader

Dave Douglas - Overcome (2020) [Modern Creative]; FLAC (tracks)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 28 Dec 2020, 14:43

Artist: Dave Douglas
Album: Overcome
Genre: Modern Creative
Label: Greenleaf Music
Released: 2020
Quality: FLAC (tracks)
Tracklist:
  1. We Shall Overcome (04:36)
  2. When We Are Together Again (04:25)
  3. Peace (05:10)
  4. Perspective (12:08)
  5. Overcome (05:09)
  6. Good Trouble, for John Lewis (07:15)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Dave Douglas, trumpet
  • Ryan Keberle, trombone
  • Fay Victor, voice
  • Camila Meza, voice and guitar
  • Jorge Roeder, bass
  • Rudy Royston, drums

The project began in discussions with Ryan Keberle about what more we could do to address the changes towards justice we both see as crucial to our country and our society. Racial justice. Climate justice. Voting justice. Gender justice. Scientific justice. And now the push for science to begin to push back the virus so we can all gather together again. We decided we could make music devoted to civic engagement and speaking out on these issues. And in an election year, we saw the band touring in swing states around the country. Without any touring, those plans changed. But I was determined to follow through on the creative vision for the project and began writing in earnest in April 2020.

The first thing that came naturally to the project was my arrangement of We Shall Overcome. We’ve been singing that for years and felt like with two vocalists like Fay and Camila, we could make a new unique version of the piece. Camila chose the verse, “We Are Not Afraid,” from among several available. It’s so strong. Then I began writing the original pieces. The word “Overcome” started to take on new resonances through the depth of feeling and resilience during this time of isolation. We began the process of recording in July 2020, and passed files back and forth over the next few months.

Once complete, it was hard for any of us to imagine we had not been in the same room when this music was made. I am so grateful to Jorge, Rudy, Ryan, Fay and Camila for helping me pull this off. I’m all grateful to Tyler McDiarmid for helping us out with engineering throughout the whole process. We are Overcome. We Shall Overcome. Enjoy.

Return to “Modern Creative, Third Stream (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”