FileCat premium

Rip Lee Pryor - Nobody But Me (2014) [Harmonica Blues]; FLAC (image+.cue)

Texas, Chicago, Modern and Others
Mike1985
Uploader

Rip Lee Pryor - Nobody But Me (2014) [Harmonica Blues]; FLAC (image+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 15 Apr 2021, 14:04

Artist: Rip Lee Pryor
Album: Nobody But Me
Genre: Harmonica Blues
Label: Electro-Fi Records
Released: 2014
Quality: FLAC (image+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Shake Your Boogie (3:36)
  2. Nobody But Me (3:01)
  3. You Gotta Move (4:56)
  4. Wake Up Baby (4:02)
  5. Lonesome (4:45)
  6. Crazy Bout You Baby (2:50)
  7. Keep Our Business To Yourself (3:36)
  8. Heard the News (2:56)
  9. Stuck On Stupid (3:43)
  10. I Got My Eyes On You (2:49)
  11. Pitch A Boogie Woogie (3:14)
  12. One Way Out (3:46)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Richard "Rip Lee" Pryor - Vocals, harmonica and guitar
  • Alec Fraser - Bass and Circus Drum (track 4)
  • Bucky Berger - Drums and percussion

Rip Lee Pryor blows his harp to make you feel something –anything. And, he sings from
his throat – the emotion choking its way out. His thumb works the guitar strings to provide what he calls, “background bottom” to push you as far as he can.

His music is not about finesse - nothing fancy here. It’s gritty and not all that pretty. But, if you’re hungry for deep roots music that fills you up and gets you to tap your foot slowly, listen to the CD a few times and then take it out again when you need it.

Rip is pleased with Nobody But Me. And, the title makes sense. It’s chock full of what he calls his own, unique “home grown blues.” These twelve songs showcase the music that Rip plays whenever he can find an audience. Electro-Fi trusted him to work with his guitar and harmonica with no overdubs.

He says, “I play a strong, driving type blues. It’s a mixture of ‘50s Chicago blues and just me.”

You don’t sound like Rip if you learned music theory in school. He started blowing harp at around ten or twelve when his harmonica master dad, Snooky Pryor, had dropped out of music. Rip found a few harps lying around the house and learned from trying to imitate the records and cassettes his dad made. Somehow, he never actually got a serious harmonica lesson from the elder Pryor. Rip then picked up guitar in high school and played a little ‘70s R&B music and he thinks that too, shows up in his sound.

It is uncanny how much Rip looks like the elder Pryor, who passed away in 2006. Rip’s weary eyes and ever present cap emphasize the relationship. He laughs when he says that his seven brothers and sisters tease him about how much he looks like his father.

But, regardless of the resemblance, the common instrument, and some borrowed songs, Riphas a far more stripped down sound. He’s good with whatever people think. “It’s fine when people compare me with my old man. I’m just trying to carry on a tradition.”

Despite being the son of a blues legend, the road to playing this music today was rough. Rip toured with his dad for a time on guitar and put out a CD on his own in 1999. Then, he walked away from music in 2000 to focus on his day job as a carpenter at the local university in Carbondale, Illinois.

Unlike his dad, who never planned a second go-round after quitting, Rip knew he wanted to play again. Big trouble with gambling and then cancer stopped him cold.

He thought his life might be over but he badly wanted to live. Rip now has his second chance and he’s in a hurry. Since his remission in 2011, he’s been to South America three times and to Europe already once. He’s played a number of large American festivals and he wants to keep traveling. Look for Rip at a venue near you. If he’s invited, he’ll be there.

Return to “Blues (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”