FileCat premium

The Cates Fomin Project - Journey with Us (2007) [Smooth Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Crossover Jazz, Easy Listening
Mike1985
Uploader

The Cates Fomin Project - Journey with Us (2007) [Smooth Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 25 Apr 2021, 09:11

Artist: The Cates Fomin Project
Album: Journey with Us
Genre: Smooth Jazz
Label: Luccica
Released: 2007
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Sloushai (Listen Up) (4:19)
  2. Smooth Cruise (4:41)
  3. Breath of My Soul (4:15)
  4. Journey with Us (4:05)
  5. Intro to Windmills (0:22)
  6. Windmills (5:32)
  7. A Vow/Live (3:43)
  8. Try a Little Tenderness (5:21)
  9. I'll Try Something New (3:38)
  10. Syndey's Song (4:04)
  11. Tell Me the Truth (3:46)
  12. Just One Kiss/Live (3:33)
  13. Nica's Dream (4:57)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

When in 2005 I reviewed the album ‘Smooth – Try Something New’ by singer and sax man Demo Cates I described his musical style as an amalgam of Kim Waters blended with Jackie Wilson and a little bit of Smokey Robinson too. His enticing brand of fusion which sits mid way between soul and smooth jazz deserves to be noticed and now he is back in the company of classically trained jazz musician Stan Fomin for the CD ‘Journey With Us’. Both Cates and Fomin have worked extensively in the areas of film and television but here, performing as The Cates Fomin Project, they demonstrate a shared knack for producing ultra accessible contemporary jazz that is extremely easy on the ear. An added bonus for those who missed out on Cates’ ‘Smooth – Try Something New’ is the fact that three of the tracks from that album make it across to ‘Journey With Us’.

One such reprise is Cates stunning take on a tune that previously had never been covered beyond the confines of the Motown stable from where it came. ‘Try Something New’, the Smokey Robinson composition that was the title track of the Miracles second album back in 1962, is a sweet and romantic number that, thanks to Cates, retains all the lushness of the original with the addition of a pleasant rolling beat and nice injection of saxophone. Also carried over from ‘Smooth – Try Something New’ are live versions of the groovy ‘Just One Kiss’ and of ‘A Vow’ with its compelling sax riff, Cates atmospheric vocal and excellent piano from Fomin. In fact Fomin’s playing is significant throughout and none more so than with the tight smooth jazz instrumental ‘Sloushai’. Other Cates – Fomin originals include the evocative ‘Smooth Cruise’ and ‘Journey With Us’ where the duo show they are not scared to take things a little funky.

‘Breath Of My Soul’ is built on a gentle vibe that quickly evolves into a romantic ballad and Cates Brook Benton-esque tones are also on display for ‘Tell Me The Truth’. Here the strong vocal is underpinned by wonderful piano from Fomin and when the pair turns a little jazzy the result is the horn driven ‘Nica’s Dream’. Formin’s spellbinding piano introduction unlocks the door to Cates mellow interpretation of the Legrand classic ‘Windmills’ and their sensitive rendition of the timeless ‘Try A Little Tenderness’ is, without question, a classy piece of work. That said, the albums best track is arguably ‘Sidney’s Song’. Dedicated to all children with Downs Syndrome this tender self penned instrumental finds Cates and Fomin at their spectacular best.

Throughout, ‘Journey With Us’ strikes a fine balance between instrumentals and vocals, sax and piano, covers and originals, and is an album well worth looking out for.
smoothjazztherapy

Return to “Smooth, Jazz-Pop (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”