FileCat premium

Della Griffin - The Very Thought of You (1998) [Vocal Jazz]; APE (image+.cue)

Vocal Jazz
Mike1985
Uploader

Della Griffin - The Very Thought of You (1998) [Vocal Jazz]; APE (image+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 25 Apr 2021, 09:25

Artist: Della Griffin
Album: The Very Thought of You
Genre: Vocal Jazz
Label: Savant
Released: 1998
Quality: APE (image+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. My Melancholy Baby
  2. The Very Thought of You
  3. All of Me
  4. Misty
  5. This Bitter Earth
  6. Yesterdays
  7. It Could Happen to You
  8. You Go to My Head
  9. Sunday

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Della Griffin - vocals
  • Houston Person - tenor saxophone
  • David Braham - piano
  • Vinnie Corrao - guitar
  • Ray Drummond - bass
  • Kenny Washington - drums

Despite being on the scene since the 1950s as a singer, a drummer and an occasional alto sax player, this is just Della Griffin's third album. Similarities to Billie Holiday's Verve Records voice are unmistakable, particularly on those tunes most closely associated with Lady Day like "The Very Thought of You," "You Go to My Head," and "All of Me." But Griffin is not a Holiday clone: she brings her special interpretive qualities to this set of nine standards. She delivers an aching rendition of "This Bitter Earth" that holds up very well with Dinah Washington's seminal version. Griffin has extraordinary backing on this session. Houston Person brings all of his experience working with such singers as Ernie Andrews, Lou Rawls, and especially Etta Jones. His bluesy saxophone is a perfect foil for Griffin's husky, smoky voice. "All of Me" is a platform for Ray Drummond's lyrical bass playing. Kenny Washington's brushes stand out on this cut. David Braham, who is on one of Griffin's earlier recordings, is familiar with the Griffin singing style and his piano is accordingly sympathetic. Vinnie Corrao's clean, uncluttered guitar is very effective on "Yesterdays." It's been over six years between recording sessions for Della Griffin. Based on her performance on this album, there should be a shorter lapse of time before the next release. The sole complaint is the paucity of playing time, just a bit over 41 minutes.
Review by Dave Nathan

Return to “Vocal Jazz (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”