FileCat premium

Shirley Scott - Soul Sister (Legends of Acid Jazz) (1999) [Hard Bop, Soul Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Hard Bop, Post-Bop, Neo-Bop
Mike1985
Uploader

Shirley Scott - Soul Sister (Legends of Acid Jazz) (1999) [Hard Bop, Soul Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 24 May 2021, 19:34

Artist: Shirley Scott
Album: Soul Sister (Legends of Acid Jazz)
Genre: Hard Bop, Soul Jazz
Label: Prestige
Released: 1999
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Trav'lin' Light (Young-Mercer-Mundy) - 4:44
  2. Solar (Davis) - 6:06
  3. Nice 'n' Easy (Keith-Bergman-Spence) - 4:36
  4. They Call It Stormy Monday (Walker) - 11:11
  5. Baby, It's Cold Outside (Loesser) - 3:54
  6. The Kerry Dance (Trad.) - 3:06
  7. On Green Dolphin Street (Washington-Kaper) - 4:12
  8. Blues for Tyrone (Scott) - 9:48
  9. Sonnymoon for Two (Rollins) - 4:02
  10. Like Young (Previn) - 6:39
  11. The More I See You (Warren-Gordon) - 6:22
  12. Get Me to the Church on Time (Lerner-Loewe) - 4:38

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Shirley Scott - organ
  • Kenny Burrell - guitar (#1-6)
  • Lem Winchester - vibes (#7-12)
  • Eddie Kahn (#1-6), George Duvivier (#7-12) - bass
  • Otis Finch (#1-6), Arthur Edgehill (#7-12) - drums

The one thing that makes this 1960 session stand out from much of Scott's other work is the prominence of Lem Winchester's vibes as the chief counterpoint to her organ. While this quartet date also has George Duvivier on bass and Arthur Edgehill on drums, there is no saxophone or guitar. It swings along nicely for the most part, though "Get Me to the Church on Time" (from My Fair Lady) was perhaps not the most inspired choice of cover material. There's only one Scott original on the program: the ten-minute "Blues for Tyrone" is, by a comfortable margin, the most smoldering, funky groove she dives into on the album. The record would have benefited from more outings of the sort, but the interpretation of Sonny Rollins' "Sonnymoon for Two" is solid. Prestige's 1999 CD reissue of Soul Sister has added the entirety of her 1964 LP Travelin' Light onto the same disc, with the addition of the title cut recorded at the same session as Soul Sister from her album Now's the Time.
Review by Richie Unterberger

Return to “Bop (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”