FileCat premium

Gerry Wiggins - Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Volume Eight (1991) [Bop]; FLAC (tracks)

Hard Bop, Post-Bop, Neo-Bop
Mike1985
Uploader

Gerry Wiggins - Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Volume Eight (1991) [Bop]; FLAC (tracks)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 15 Jun 2021, 08:00

Artist: Gerry Wiggins
Album: Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Volume Eight
Genre: Bop
Label: Concord Jazz
Released: 1991
Quality: FLAC (tracks)
Tracklist:
  1. Yesterdays (4:53)
  2. My Ship (4:42)
  3. All The Things You Are (5:38)
  4. Night Mist Blues (5:37)
  5. Body And Soul (5:36)
  6. Easy To Love (3:27)
  7. You're Mine, You! (4:52)
  8. I Should Care (4:50)
  9. Don't Blame Me (5:00)
  10. Take The ‘A’ Train (4:57)
  11. Berkeley Blues (3:39)
  12. Lullaby Of The Leaves (3:39)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Gerald Wiggins (often listed as Gerry Wiggins, as on this release) is well documented on records and CDs as a sideman, though he has only been recorded sporadically under his own name. That makes this solo piano concert even more valuable, as one can enjoy the adaptable, often surprising artist without any distractions. No matter how familiar the standard, whether it is "Yesterdays," "Body and Soul," or "Don't Blame Me," Wiggins finds a fresh approach while retaining the lyrical essence of each piece. The little vamp he uses to introduce "All the Things You Are" sounds a lot like Kenny Barron; it is impossible to say who played this lick first, though Wiggins is a generation older. His easygoing rendition of "Take the 'A' Train" has a few fast runs that likely were influenced by his good friend Art Tatum, but his gently striding left hand powers his dancing right hand. Wiggins' down-home "Berkeley Blues" has a boogie-woogie flavor. The late Jimmy Rowles' warm liner notes are an added bonus to this unfortunately out of print CD.
Review by Ken Dryden

Return to “Bop (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”