FileCat premium

Buck Clayton - 1945-1947 (1997) [Swing]; FLAC (image+.cue)

Ragtime, Dixieland, Big Band, New Orleans Jazz, Jump Blues, Neo-Swing
Mike1985
Uploader

Buck Clayton - 1945-1947 (1997) [Swing]; FLAC (image+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 23 Jun 2021, 14:45

Artist: Buck Clayton
Album: 1945-1947
Genre: Swing
Label: Classics
Released: 1997
Quality: FLAC (image+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. I'm in the Mood for Love (2:41)
  2. Sugar Hips (2:47)
  3. Diga Diga Doo (4:04)
  4. Love Me or Leave Me (4:02)
  5. We're in the Money (3:52)
  6. B.C. Blues (4:31)
  7. Why Do I Love You (2:37)
  8. All My Life (3:00)
  9. Groovin' with J.C. (3:18)
  10. What's the Use? (3:16)
  11. Dawn Dance (3:13)
  12. Well-A-Poppin' (3:14)
  13. On the Sunny Side of the Street (3:29)
  14. It's Dizzy (3:08)
  15. Basie's Morning Bluesicale (3:22)
  16. Saragota Special (2:39)
  17. Sentimental Summer (3:23)
  18. Harlem Cradle Song (2:41)
  19. My Good Man Sam (2:39)
  20. I Want a Little Girl (2:53)
  21. Jazz Band (3:13)
  22. Jazz Band (2:59)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Buck Clayton played smooth trumpet, warm and precise every step of the way. The first session included here appeared under the nominal leadership of Count Basie's rhythm guitarist, Freddie Green. After Lucky Thompson introduces "I'm in the Mood for Love," Sylvia Sims sings the lyric in attractive, easygoing tones. The flip side, an uncredited original called "Sugar Hips," is a typical mid-1945 exercise in what was at the time called both "rebop" and "bebop." Swing was now ready to morph into music of greater rhythmic and harmonic complexity. This track provides a fine example of Shadow Wilson's superb handling of hi-hat and drums. Sammy Benskin demonstrates a fine, muscular pianism. Dicky Wells seems to enjoy riding along on a tide of what were at the time decisively modern changes. Recorded exactly one month later for the small-time Melrose label, the Buck Clayton Quintet session introduces tenor man Flip Phillips, with Teddy Wilson appearing as "Theodocius," roundly supported by Slam Stewart and Danny Alvin. After a snappy romp through "Diga Diga Doo," "Love Me or Leave Me" is taken at a much more relaxed tempo than usual. This gives everyone a chance to savor the melody rather than chasing about. "We're in the Money" bounces along in an updated groove, much hipper than the Busby Berkeley original. Flip is exceptionally helpful here. The date closes with a stunningly solid piece of blues bearing Buck Clayton's initials. Slam bows his bass in an uncharacteristically low register, and the combination of horns and piano during the out chorus is really amazing. The only thing that could top it is the J.C. Heard Quintet session recorded for Keynote on August 17, 1945. Buck and Flip are now backed by three of the best rhythm section mates in all of early modern jazz: Johnny Guarnieri, Milt Hinton, and the immaculate J.C. Heard. The quintet's approach to Jerome Kern's "Why Do I Love You" is refreshingly brisk and inventive. "All My Life" is still sometimes associated with Fats Waller; in 1945 a lot of people probably thought that he had written it. What you get here is a magnificent sensitive rendering, beautifully phrased. "Groovin' With J.C." begins with jaunty walking bass and eases into a steady lope, very groovy as the title implies. "What's the Use" further demonstrates the perfect balance of this little band, wherein the rhythm section is so strong that the horns fit in uncommonly well. Nobody ever gets stepped on or overshadowed. As for the Hot Record Society sessions, there was always a lot of "original" material on these dates, and some of the melodies sound like attempts at modernity without a whole lot of innovation. This is not to imply that the music is inferior. It's just a bit short on genuine melodic substance. The Big Four session is mostly memorable for Tiny Grimes and his electrified guitar, while the Big Eight date is notable for the combined presence of trombonists Dicky Wells and Trummy Young. Funny thing: "Sentimental Summer" has a bridge identical to that of "I Don't Want to Set the World On Fire." A fascinating addition to this CD is a children's record narrated by the actor Canada Lee. This 1947 recording traces the root system of jazz back to Africa (with authentic African drumming and chanting!) describing abduction, enslavement, emancipation, and the development of jazz in the 20th century. During part two of the story, Buck Clayton, Ed Hall, Teddy Wilson, and Jimmy Crawford provide a blues and a hot stomp. This is an uncommonly hip kiddie record, infinitely more accurate and intelligent than anything else on the market in its day. How thoughtful of the producers to include it on Buck Clayton's CD.
Review by arwulf arwulf

Return to “Early Jazz, Swing, Gypsy (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”