FileCat premium

Albert King - Red House (1991) [Electric Blues, Soul-Blues]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Texas, Chicago, Modern and Others
Mike1985
Uploader

Albert King - Red House (1991) [Electric Blues, Soul-Blues]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 21 Jul 2021, 17:52

Artist: Albert King
Album: Red House
Genre: Electric Blues, Soul-Blues
Label: Essential Records
Released: 1991
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Stop (5:13)
  2. Bluesman (4:01)
  3. Don't Let Me Be Lonely (4:33)
  4. When You Walk Out The Door (6:47)
  5. Problems (Feat. Sherlie Matthews) (4:47)
  6. Our Love Is Going To Win (6:47)
  7. Trouble (4:32)
  8. If You Got It (3:07)
  9. Red House (5:36)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

This is the very last studio album recorded by the late Blues titan. One of my motivations for writing this short review is my annoyance over how woefully inaccurate most info out there is on exactly what this actually is. If it's even listed at all it's usually listed as another live album or a compilation of previously-released tracks rather than the final album from the master. My research suggests it was only officially released in the United Kingdom in 1991 months before his fatal heart attack. It received almost no attention and quickly fell into obscurity.

Recorded both in Memphis, TN (produced by King and Gary Belz) and Los Angeles, CA (produced by Bruce Gary and Alan Douglas) this rare 9 song set includes songs new to the King canon ("Red House", "Bluesman", "If You Got It", "Stop", "When You Walk Out The Door", "Problems", 'Our Love Is Going To Win", "Trouble", "Don't Let Me Be Lonely"). The project was spear-headed by none other than the drummer for the New Wave band The Knack ("My Sharona") Bruce Gary! Finally something good to come out of that musical abomination. Following the disbandment of that (irksome) band Gary became an in demand session drummer and turned his attention to the Blues. In addition to King he (died in 2006) recorded with John Lee Hooker and along with Alan Douglas produced a series of archival releases on Jimi Hendrix, most notably Jimi Hendrix's "Blues" album (highly recommended).

"Red House" suffers overall from shrill synthesizer parts throughout that try and fail to be a proxy for horns. Adding insult to injury there is, in fact, live horns on "Our Love Is Going To Win" and "Trouble". Only budgeted for two tracks? In addition there's a sterile and distant studio sound to these recordings that dull King's normally razor-sharp, piercing guitar licks. Nevertheless this is Albert King and his talent overshadows the misgivings. The highlight by far is the title track, a Hendrix original, a rolling midtempo shuffle with a confident King vocal and his trademark bag of tricks courtesy of his "guit-fiddle" named Lucy. Pity the lame keyboard fills couldn't have been excised. And, unfortunately, the rhythm section is stiff and lazy while the mix is muddy. It also sounds like King's mic was too "hot" and clipping, resulting in some distortion. Ever since I've owned this album I've fantasized of someone taking these sessions, stripping away all accompaniment and re-recording new backing tracks behind King's vocals and guitar.

King gets his croon on for James Taylor's "Don't Let Me Be Lonely". Those familiar with King know he possessed a husky, soulful voice that shined on slow numbers like "The Very Thought Of You" from years passed. He nails this one. The track also features an uncredited sax solo.

Another highlight is "Bluesman", which no doubt draws it's lyrical inspiration from Willie Dixon/Muddy Waters. "On the night I was born my poor mother cried/She said Lord have mercy on this manchild/The devil screamed and threw up both his hands/And said this boy was born to be a Bluesman". And "When You Walk Out That Door" benefits from one of the better arrangements (and mixes) on the album (unfortunately the liner notes don't tell us which cuts were recorded in Memphis vs. Los Angeles). But elsewhere the rocking rhythm guitars ruin an otherwise effective performance of "Stop" and the mix almost buries the stomping "Trouble", which features King's most powerful and best recorded leads.

Overall you have an album absolutely necessary for King fanatics but perhaps one the casual fan can do without. Like I said earlier I'm still hoping for a re-release with a brand new mix or newly recorded backing tracks. Sadly, as it's been 25+ years without a single reissue I reckon that's just a dream of mine. Nevertheless this is part of the Albert King story and it should be properly credited wherever his discography appears.

Return to “Blues (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”