FileCat premium

Jay McShann - Hootie Blues (2006) [Jump Blues, Piano Blues]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Texas, Chicago, Modern and Others
Mike1985
Uploader

Jay McShann - Hootie Blues (2006) [Jump Blues, Piano Blues]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 06 Aug 2021, 05:30

Artist: Jay McShann
Album: Hootie Blues
Genre: Jump Blues, Piano Blues
Label: Stony Plain Records
Released: 2006
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Confessin' The Blues (5:49)
  2. Yes Sir, That's My Baby? (8:01)
  3. When The Lights Go Out (4:27)
  4. Hootie Blues (6:06)
  5. My Chile (5:23)
  6. I'll Catch The Sun (5:10)
  7. All Of Me (5:47)
  8. Deed I Do (9:07)
  9. Jay Mcshann Interview (24:02)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Jay McShann - vocals & piano
  • Jim Galloway - tenor & soprano sax
  • Rosemary Galloway - bass
  • Don Vickery - drums

If there is just the slightest occasional hesitation in Jay McShann's singing on these tracks, which were recorded live at Toronto's Montreal Bistro on February 2, 2001 for CBC Radio One's Saturday Night Blues show, and if he occasionally doesn't really lock into the groove until the rest of the band (Jim Galloway on saxophones, Rosemary Galloway on bass, and Don Vickery on drums) jumps in, the real miracle is that McShann, at 90-years-old, can do this at all. But do it he does, and he delivers a wonderfully charming set of jazzy blues pieces that brim with an unsaid joy. Few players have so effectively bridged blues and jazz in their careers, and this autumnal set continues the fusion, including gentle yet sturdy versions of McShann classics like his signature "Confessin' the Blues" and the delightful title track, "Hootie Blues," as well as extended takes on "Deed I Do" and "Yes Sir, That's My Baby." Everything has an easy, joyful groove to it, and suggests that McShann will still be doing this with the same gentle flair when he reaches the century mark. The album closes with a 20-minute-plus interview with McShann that was recorded in 2003 at the North Sea Jazz Festival in Holland. In all, Hootie Blues makes a great capstone for a phenomenal 70- going on 80-year career at the piano.
Review by Steve Leggett

Return to “Blues (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”