FileCat premium

Roy Hargrove & Mulgrew Miller - In Harmony (2021) [Post-Bop, Straight-Ahead Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Hard Bop, Post-Bop, Neo-Bop
Mike1985
Uploader

Roy Hargrove & Mulgrew Miller - In Harmony (2021) [Post-Bop, Straight-Ahead Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 05 Sep 2021, 14:17

Artist: Roy Hargrove & Mulgrew Miller
Album: In Harmony
Genre: Post-Bop, Straight-Ahead Jazz
Label: Resonance Records
Released: 2021
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
    CD 1:
  1. What Is This Thing Called Love? (Porter) - 9:11
  2. This Is Always (Gordon-Warren) - 8:25
  3. I Remember Clifford (Golson) - 8:36
  4. Triste (Jobim) - 8:37
  5. Invitation (Kaper-Webster) - 8:05
  6. Con Alma (Gillespie) - 9:44

CD 2:
  1. Never Let Me Go (Evans-Livingston) - 8:29
  2. Just in Time (Comden-Green-Styne) - 9:12
  3. Fungii Mama (Mitchell) - 6:58
  4. Monk's Dream (Monk) - 5:58
  5. Ruby, My Dear (Monk) - 7:27
  6. Blues for Mr. Hill (Hargrove) - 7:36
  7. Ow! (Encore) (Gillespie) - 5:10

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

A poignant duet album, 2021's In Harmony brings together two archival live performances from trumpeter Roy Hargrove and pianist Mulgrew Miller. Here, we find them in rapturous interplay during two concerts of jazz standards, with the first recorded at Merkin Hall in New York City in January 2006 and the second at Lafayette College in Easton, Pennsylvania in November 2007. Sadly, both performers died far before their times, with Miller passing in 2013 at age 57 and Hargrove in 2018 at 49. While they had certainly crossed paths in their careers, In Harmony is one of the few documents spotlighting their potent chemistry. Both Miller and Hargrove had similar backgrounds, raised in the South and steeped as much in the Black church and soul music as the swinging hard bop and modern jazz that they were known for. They were also both embraced by veteran and younger players alike, earning respect for their broad artistry and deep grasp of the jazz language. While they brought all of their shared experience to bear on their two live concerts together, the vibe remains as intimate and loose as if they just happened to show up to a small club jam session. They hold the audience's attention throughout, diving into a brisk take on "What Is This Thing Called Love," a spiraling reading of Dizzy Gillespie's Latin-number "Con Alma," and a buoyant, rhythmically infectious rendition of Blue Mitchell's "Fungii Mama" that sparkles with a joyous calypso island spirit. There's also an enchanting version of "Never Let Me Go" at the start of the second concert that showcases the duo's adept lyricism and dusky, often impressionistic harmonic choices. We also get the off-the-cuff original "Blues for Mr. Hill," a slow, declamatory blues that underlines the vibrant, soulful legacy of these two kindred spirits.
Review by Matt Collar

Return to “Bop (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”